Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Difference between "order in the universe" and "order of the universe"?

Are “order in” and “order of” interchangeable in the following sentences I have found online?

1. There is order in/of the universe.
    2. In my most recent book, The Secret American Destiny, I have co-ordinated all the latest information in all the sciences to see what the sciences have to say about the order in/of the universe as opposed to the universe’s being an accident.
    3. Apparently, the secret of the order in/of the universe is the lego brick.
    4. “Because there is an overall source to the order in/of the universe, things have a connection,” he said

I originally asked the question here https://forum.wordreference.com/thre...#post-18293005, but I was still confused.
    I am a fleeting visitor on this fragile Earth.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: Difference between "order in the universe" and "order of the universe"?

1- Only "in" is natural.
    2- Both may work, but I prefer "in".
    3- Both work.
    4- Both work.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

No, they are not interchangeable because prepositions have different meanings.

Where did you take these sentences from? Which prepositions were used by the writer? Why would you want to change the prepositions?

4. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    No, they are not interchangeable because prepositions have different meanings.

Where did you take these sentences from? Which prepositions were used by the writer? Why would you want to change the prepositions?

1. There is order in/of the universe. A self-made sentence. I also prefer "in".
    2. In my most recent book, The Secret American Destiny, I have co-ordinated all the latest information in all the sciences to see what the sciences have to say about the order in the universe as opposed to the universe’s being an accident. https://www.watkinsmagazine.com/hidd...-world-culture
    3. Apparently, the secret of the order of the universe is the lego brick. https://gizmodo.com/apparently-the-s...rse-is-5309909
    4. “Because there is an overall source to the order of the universe, things have a connection,” he said from https://cathstan.org/news/local/moon...e-an-astronaut

Is there a rule guiding me how to choose between them? They seem to be random to me. That is why I am changing them in the sentences to see which is a better fit. I am eager to hear your comment, jutfrank. Prepositions are really hard to learn.
    I am a fleeting visitor on this fragile Earth.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

There is order in the universe.

Only in works there.
    Not a professional teacher

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by luxury20041985 View Post
    Is there a rule guiding me how to choose between them? They seem to be random to me.
    The preposition "of" suggests we are talking about a characteristic/property of something. For example,
    The colour of that shirt is green.
    The age of that tree is amazing.
    Do you know the order of the planets from the sun?

The preposition "in" is used when something is found in (is part of) another.
    Many people in my country are fat.
    She conducted several interesting studies in physics.

The order and punctuality in that office are inspiring.

However, you're right that the use of prepositions is often idiomatic and follows no obvious rules. Also, sometimes more than one preposition can work in a sentence, as we see in your example above. The best advice I can give you is to read and take note of how different prepositions are used. And of course, you can ask questions if you don't understand something.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by luxury20041985 View Post
    1. There is order in/of the universe. A self-made sentence. I also prefer "in".
    in is correct here. It's not a matter of preference. It's a matter of using the correct word. The locative PP in the universe is saying where there is order.

1. In my most recent book, The Secret American Destiny, I have co-ordinated all the latest information in all the sciences to see what the sciences have to say about the order in the universe as opposed to the universe’s being an accident. https://www.watkinsmagazine.com/hidd...-world-culture

in is used here for the same reason as in your self-made sentence above.

1. Apparently, the secret of the order of the universe is the lego brick. https://gizmodo.com/apparently-the-s...rse-is-5309909
    2. “Because there is an overall source to the order of the universe, things have a connection,” he said from https://cathstan.org/news/local/moon...e-an-astronaut

In these two sentences, the PP is not locative, but possessive. It is the universe's order which is mentioned, not anything else's order.

Is there a rule guiding me how to choose between them?
    Just learn their meanings and uses.

They seem to be random to me. That is why I am changing them in the sentences to see which is a better fit.
    They are absolutely not random! Nothing in language is random, of course, otherwise there could be no meaning.

Prepositions are really hard to learn.
    I completely understand this. Just remember that any two prepositions are (almost) never fully interchangeable, because they carry different meanings. The goal then is to learn these meanings.