• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

I can look out the window...

His problem had to do with the distinctions he made in his mind of how high “high” was. It had nothing to do with going up; it was all to do with looking down. Once he was high enough up, he was okay. He even told me: “If I get in an elevator and I go up to the eighth or ninth floor I can look out the window, or off the balcony, and I’m fine. But if I get off on the first floor, I’ve got a problem.”

If he was in one of those glass elevators, he wouldn’t be able to look out. He couldn’t cope with walking around and looking out of the first floor, but felt quite safe if his room was on the sixteenth floor. The only thing was, he had to go up to his room with his back to the glass, staring at the wall or the door.
    I get confused by the words in the above paragraphs.

In the first one in red , he said, "I can look out the window".

In the second one in blue, he said, "(I) wouldn't able to look out".

They seem contradictory to me. What did he mean about these? Would anyone please explain to me?

I think he was okay at certain high place if he didn't have to look out to the lower places.
    Please correct my writing if there's any grammatical solecism.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: I can look out the window...

It doesn't make sense. Looking down from the eighth floor doesn't bother him, but being on the first floor does. It makes no sense.
    Not a professional teacher

3. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hi Tarheel,

I post up more context from the book for my question if these would make sense. Would you please read?

One of the weirdest height phobias I ever encountered was in Michigan. I asked three hundred people if anyone had a really outrageous phobia, and a very distinguished gentleman, aged about fifty, raised his hand and said, “I’m afraid of heights.”

This didn’t seem particularly outrageous, but when I invited him up on to the stage, which was just a couple feet high, he turned pale and said, “No.” I reached out my hand and said: “Step up on just one step,” but he stepped backward and his knees gave way. To me, that’s a real, flaming phobia. I went down in the front of the audience, turned him around, ran him through the Phobia Cure , then asked him what he did for a living.

He said, “I’m an airline pilot.” Something about my reaction or expression prompted him to say, “I know what you’re thinking, but once you’re in the plane it’s not the same.”

He explained that walking up a flight of stairs was impossible for him. He could only fly planes, such as 747s, that were accessible by a ramp. He told how, when he was in the air force, he had to close his eyes, then be lifted backward into the cockpit. Once he was inside an F-16, he was fine. He couldn’t climb a ladder to the plane, but he could fly it at twice the speed of sound and drop napalm across Vietnam without a second thought.

His problem had to do with the distinctions he made in his mind of how high “high” was. It had nothing to do with going up; it was all to do with looking down. Once he was high enough up, he was okay. He even told me: “If I get in an elevator and I go up to the eighth or ninth floor I can look out the window, or off the balcony, and I’m fine. But if I get off on the first floor, I’ve got a problem.”

If he was in one of those glass elevators, he wouldn’t be able to look out. He couldn’t cope with walking around and looking out of the first floor, but felt quite safe if his room was on the sixteenth floor. The only thing was, he had to go up to his room with his back to the glass, staring at the wall or the door.

How he developed his phobia to such an elegant degree is probably all very complicated, but it doesn’t really matter. What’s significant is that he made the distinction that being at a certain height meant he could fall—but if it was much higher, he was safe. As soon as he got high enough, the phobia simply stopped functioning.
    Please correct my writing if there's any grammatical solecism.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by tree123 View Post

I get confused by the words in the above paragraphs.

In the first one in red , he said, "I can look out the window".

In the second one in blue, he said, "(I) wouldn't able to look out".

They seem contradictory to me. What did he mean about these? Would anyone please explain to me?

I think he was okay at certain high place if he didn't have to look out to the lower places.
    Those phrases have no meaning by themselves. You have to look at the whole sentence in both cases.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

He has no problem looking out of windows, but if he's looking down through the floor of a glass elevator, his phobia triggers.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    He has no problem looking out of windows, but if he's looking down through the floor of a glass elevator, his phobia triggers.
    That much is clear. But he's okay on the upper floors, but when he gets to the first floor he gets panicky. Huh?

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    That much is clear. But he's okay on the upper floors, but when he gets to the first floor he gets panicky. Huh?
    The point being made is that the height is not relevant. It's all about looking down. Or even thinking about looking down.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Then he needs to get better control of his thoughts. (One truly whacky individual!) It's almost as if he is bragging about his unusual phobia.

9. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Reading the excerpt makes me doubt the veracity of the whole book. A person who can't step onto a stage wouldn't be able to climb into a light plane for initial training.
    I am not a teacher.