[Grammar] The consumption of agricultual water was more than the last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
1-The consumption of agricultual water was more than the previous year.

2-Agricultural water consumption was more than the the previous year.

3-The water used by agriculture was more than the previous year.

Do they mean the same and which one seem natural?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Did you write these sentences? Is this an IELTS writing task?

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
mrmvp, I have changed your thread title. Titles should be unique and relevant to the thread. (Also, you misspelled "paraphrasing".)

Last edited by a moderator:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
If you are referring to the water consumption for this year, why do you use the past tense?

I would say: consumption is higher.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Did you write these sentences? Is this an IELTS writing task?

Yes I did. I want to know how to paraphrase the question for the IELTS exam. If I use the same question in my answer, I will lose marks.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
If you are referring to the water consumption for this year, why do you use the past tense?

I would say: consumption is higher.

No, I am not referring to this year. The question is about agricultual water consumption in the past so I cannot change the tense from past to present. I do not know if the sentences I wrote were correct or not. Thank you

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes I did. I want to know how to paraphrase the question for the IELTS exam.

What are you paraphrasing exactly? What you're saying here is not part of the task rubrik, so you don't need to paraphrase. Or are you talking only about the noun phrase consumption of agricultural water?

Tell us exactly what you're trying to paraphrase.

(Use the previous year, not the last year.)

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Thank you so much.

I am trying to paraphrase simple sentences or phrases like my first post ( I hope you check if the sentences correct or not.) sometimes i became confused about the arrangement between nouns and adjectives.

The statement I should paraphrase is

"The pie charts give information about the water used for residential, industrial and agricultural purposes in San Diego County, California, and the world as a whole."

I paraphrased it to

"The graphs depict the water consumption in in two states, California and San Diego county compared to worldwide consumption in three different categories , agriculture, industry and residential."

Picture of the charts

Screenshot_٢٠١٩٠٧١٥_٢٠١٩.jpg

Thank you again. :up:

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Ted, in future, kindly refrain from replying before the requested source has been given.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
If possible, take a photo of the chart and post it below.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
If possible, take a photo of the chart and post it below.

Thank you so much. Please check my first post if the sentences I wrote correct or not?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
While we wait for you to respond to the request made in post #10, I can tell you that none of your three sentences is completely correct because it's not right to say consumption was more.

If you want to use more, use it before the noun that it goes with, (not as a predicate after the verb be). In this case, the noun is water, so say more water.

Now you can expand the phrase, to make a basic comparative clause: more water was consumed

Next you can mention which of the three areas of water consumption you're comparing: more water was consumed for agricultural purposes

Now you can complete the sentence by using than, and mentioning the two data points (the years) that you wish to compare:
For example: In 2012, more water was consumed for agricultural purposes than the previous year.

There are other ways to construct this comparison, of course.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Here's another tip to help you with making comparative sentences for Task 1.

Think very carefully about which 'quantity word' best suits the task. Just a few of the many examples of these words are: number, amount, level, rate.

Learn which comparative adjective best suits the quantity word you want to use. I would advise you, for example, to use greater with number and amount, and higher with level and rate.

the number of people leaving the country was greater than ...
the amount of water consumed was greater than ...

the level of consumption was higher than ...

It is usually not correct to use more in the same way that greater and higher are used in the example above.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Here's another tip to help you with making comparative sentences for Task 1.

Think very carefully about which 'quantity word' best suits the task. Just a few of the many examples of these words are: number, amount, level, rate.

Learn which comparative adjective best suits the quantity word you want to use. I would advise you, for example, to use greater with number and amount, and higher with level and rate.

the number of people leaving the country was greater than ...
the amount of water consumed was greater than ...

the level of consumption was higher than ...

It is usually not correct to use more in the same way that greater and higher are used in the example above.

Thank you for your explanations.

I wrote some examples.

1-The number of homicides and suicides soared compared to the previous year.

2- In 2009,the amount of emission were significantly higher than the year 2007.

3- People leaving their countries in summer are more than those who leave it during winter.

4- There is no level of criticism in (name of the country) compared to (name of the country)

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
While we wait for you to respond to the request made in post #10, I can tell you that none of your three sentences is completely correct because it's not right to say consumption was more.

If you want to use more, use it before the noun that it goes with, (not as a predicate after the verb be). In this case, the noun is water, so say more water.

Now you can expand the phrase, to make a basic comparative clause: more water was consumed

Next you can mention which of the three areas of water consumption you're comparing: more water was consumed for agricultural purposes

Now you can complete the sentence by using than, and mentioning the two data points (the years) that you wish to compare:
For example: In 2012, more water was consumed for agricultural purposes than the previous year.

There are other ways to construct this comparison, of course.

Thank you so much for helping and dedicate your to time to help me out.

Before I start comparing, are these phrases/sentences correct?

1-The consumption of agricultual water.

2- Agricultural water consumption (should I say Agricultural or Agriculture?)

3-The water used by agriculture was significantly higher than the previous year.

Waiting your reply teacher and I will write some examples using "more" in comparative.

Thank you.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1-The number of homicides and suicides soared compared to the previous year.

That's not right. You've mixed up two different categories of sentence here. The first half is a decsription of change and the latter half is a description of comparison.

2- In 2009,the amount of emission were significantly higher than the year 2007.

That's nearly right, but emission cannot be used as a singular countable noun. Delete the amount of and pluralise to emissions, then the sentence will be correct.

3- People leaving their countries in summer are more than those who leave it during winter.

This is exactly what I was trying to tell you not to do. Look again what I said about using more.

4- There is no level of criticism in (name of the country) compared to (name of the country)

This doesn't make sense. What do you mean? This is not from an IELTS task, is it?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Before I start comparing, are these phrases/sentences correct?

1-The consumption of agricultual water.

2- Agricultural water consumption (should I say Agricultural or Agriculture?)

3-The water used by agriculture was significantly higher than the previous year.

1) Yes (but check your spelling).

2) Not great, but okay.

3) No. Firstly, the preposition by is not really right—change it to for. Secondly, it's not right to say that water is high or low. It is not the water that changed, it's the consumption that changed.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
That's not right. You've mixed up two different categories of sentence here. The first half is a decsription of change and the latter half is a description of comparison.

That's nearly right, but emission cannot be used as a singular countable noun. Delete the amount of and pluralise to emissions, then the sentence will be correct.

This is exactly what I was trying to tell you not to do. Look again what I said about using more.

This doesn't make sense. What do you mean? This is not from an IELTS task, is it?

Thank you so much.

Is there a way to correct this sentence

The number of homicides and suicides soared compared to the previous year.

In regard to this sentence

People leaving their countries in summer are more than those who leave it during winter.

I want to use more in the middle of the sentence

I can say

1-More important than salary is the satisfaction. (inversion)

2- Satisfaction is more important than salary. (normal comparision more plus an adjective.

3-John has more educational achievements than David.

I did not clearly understand your explanation,though I think verb to be "are" should be omitted.

People leaving their countries in summer are more than those who leave it during winter.

Agricultural water consumption you did not specify should I say agricultural or agriculture?)

There is no level of criticism in (name of the country) compared to (name of the country)

It is a question in IELTS, but I just wanted to use the word level.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is there a way to correct this sentence

The number of homicides and suicides soared compared to the previous year.

Yes. Like I said, this is a mix of two different categories of sentence. The blue part is a description of change and the red part is part of a comparison. The two parts do not go together.

One way to correct it then would be to completely remove one of the parts. Let's remove the red part, to leave us with.

The number of homicides and suicides soared.

Now it's correct. This is just a description of what happened, what changes took place. The 'change' verb soared tells us something about the nature of the change. To improve the sentence, you could add a timeframe:

Between 1990 and 1994, the number of homicides and suicides soared.

I want to use more in the middle of the sentence

Why? Don't.

I can say

1-More important than salary is the satisfaction. (inversion)

2- Satisfaction is more important than salary. (normal comparision more plus an adjective.

3-John has more educational achievements than David.

Yes, fine.

I did not clearly understand your explanation,though I think verb to be "are" should be omitted.

No, that's not right. It's even worse if you omit are. You cannot say 'people are more than ...'.

Agricultural water consumption you did not specify should I say agricultural or agriculture?)

I don't actually think you should say that at all. Use a better way of saying it.

There is no level of criticism in (name of the country) compared to (name of the country)

It is a question in IELTS, but I just wanted to use the word level.

I still don't understand what it means but I can tell you that it doesn't make sense. The word no cannot be used comparatively.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Yes. Like I said, this is a mix of two different categories of sentence. The blue part is a description of change and the red part is part of a comparison. The two parts do not go together.

One way to correct it then would be to completely remove one of the parts. Let's remove the red part, to leave us with.

Now it's correct. This is just a description of what happened, what changes took place. The 'change' verb soared tells us something about the nature of the change. To improve the sentence, you could add a timeframe:

Between 1990 and 1994, the number of homicides and suicides soared.

Why? Don't.

Yes, fine.

No, that's not right. It's even worse if you omit are. You cannot say 'people are more than ...'.

I don't actually think you should say that at all. Use a better way of saying it.

I still don't understand what it means but I can tell you that it doesn't make sense. The word no cannot be used comparatively.

Thank you so much.

Last question.

Is there a way to make a comparison when the sentence has more than one categories?

Can I say the following?

1-The number of homicides and suicides soared. By contrast to the previous year.

2 - From 2005 to 2009, the number of homicides and suicides soared.

3-In figure A and B, the number of homicides and suicides soared.

Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.