Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Emma and Jerry

Emma and Jerry are a couple. Emma is wife and Jerry is husband. Emma loves Jerry and Jerry loves her too.
Both also like watching movies. But there is a little problem with them. Emma loves horror movies, she like watching blood, awful things and a bad finishing. On the other hand, Jerry loves romantic movies and hates horror movies, he like watching wet couples and romantic scenes. Both don’t know they have different watching movie favourite.

One day, Emma comes home and invites Jerry to watch a new movie. Jerry thinks that it is a fantastic movie and then they go to the cinema together. Jerry don’t know this is a horror movie. Five minutes after watching movies, Jerry is really unbearable. He stands up and go to the toilet and throws up. He says “Emma, I don’t think that I can watch the movie like that again”.

A few days later, Jerry comes home and talk to Emma. “Emma you have to come with me to go to the cinema. There is an amazing movie, we must watch it”. Emma thinks that it is a fantastic movie and they go to the cinema together. Emma don’t know this is a romantic movie. Five minutes later, Emma stands up go to the bathroom and throws up. She says “Jerry, I don’t think that I can watch the movie like it again”. Jerry thinks about this for a moment and answers “I think we will wait for a horror love movie.

Please correct my mistakes.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Emma and Jerry are a married couple who love each other. [STRIKE] . Emma is wife and Jerry is husband. Emma loves Jerry and Jerry loves her too. [/STRIKE]
Both also like watching movies, but there is a little problem with them. Emma loves horror movies; she likes watching blood, awful things and bad endings. [STRIKE] finishing. [/STRIKE] On the other hand, Jerry loves romantic movies and hates horror movies. He likes watching wet couples and romantic scenes. [STRIKE] Both [/STRIKE] However, they don’t know they have different [STRIKE] watching [/STRIKE] movie preferences. [STRIKE] favourite. [/STRIKE]
How likely is it that they’re married and they don’t know each other's taste in movies?!

Also, what do you mean by “wet couples”?

Last edited by a moderator:

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
How likely is it that they’re married and they don’t know each other's taste in movies?!

Also, what do you mean by “wet couples”?

Actually, if they are lover and get married each other, they will know each other’s taste. But I'm suppose to write this funny story.

“Wet couples” means couple falls in love.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Actually, if they are lovers and get married, [STRIKE]each other,[/STRIKE] they will know each other’s tastes. But I'm supposed to write this funny story.
Why do you say "supposed to"? Who is asking you to write it?

“Wet couples” means a couple [STRIKE]falls[/STRIKE] in love.
That doesn't work in English. Don't use it.

He likes watching [STRIKE]wet couples and[/STRIKE] romantic scenes. [STRIKE]Both[/STRIKE] However, they don’t know that they have different [STRIKE]watching[/STRIKE] tastes in movies. [STRIKE]favourite.[/STRIKE]

One day, Emma comes home and invites Jerry to watch a new movie. Jerry thinks that it is a fantastic movie, and then they go to the cinema together. Jerry [STRIKE]don’t[/STRIKE] doesn't know this is a horror movie. Five minutes [STRIKE]after watching[/STRIKE] into the movie, Jerry [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] finds it really unbearable. He stands up and goes to the toilet and throws up there. He comes back and says “Emma, I don’t think that I can watch [STRIKE]the [/STRIKE] a movie like that again”.

A few days later, Jerry comes home and [STRIKE]talk[/STRIKE] says to Emma “Emma you have to come with me [STRIKE]to go[/STRIKE] to the cinema. There is [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] this amazing movie, and we must [STRIKE]watch[/STRIKE] go (to) see it”. Emma thinks that it is a fantastic movie, and they go to the cinema together. Emma [STRIKE]don’t[/STRIKE] doesn't know this is a romantic movie. Five minutes into the movie, [STRIKE]later,[/STRIKE] Emma stands up and goes to the bathroom and throws up there. She says “Jerry, I don’t think that I can watch [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a movie like it again”. Jerry thinks about this for a moment and answers “I think we will have to wait for a romantic horror [STRIKE]love[/STRIKE] movie to come out.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe "wet couple" will catch on. (Probably not.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's weird.

Try:

Emma and Jerry are a married couple who like watching movies, but their tastes differ.

It's fine that they love each other, but that's not truly relevant here.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Jerry thinks it's a fantastic movie.

That doesn't make sense. He hasn't seen the movie yet, and he doesn't even know what kind of movie it is.

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Why do you say "supposed to"? Who is asking you to write it?

That doesn't work in English. Don't use it.
" Wet couples", I myself think this word. So that doesn't work in English.
" supposed to", I will try referring online to replace this word.

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
This is my rewrite.
Emma and Jerry are a married couple who love each other very much. Both also like watching movies, but there is a little problem with them. Emma loves horror movies; she likes watching blood, awful things and bad endings. On the other hand, Jerry loves romantic movies and hates horror movies. He likes romantic scenes. However, they don’t know they have different taste in movies.

One day, Emma comes home and says to Jerry “Jerry, there is a new movie that named Loving and remembering. We must watch it”. Jerry doesn’t know this is a horror movie, he just thinks that this is a horror movie. Five minutes into the movie, Jerry finds it really unbearable. He stands up and goes the toilet and throws up there. He comes back and says “Emma, I don’t think that I can watch a movie like that again”.

A few days later, Jerry comes home and says to Emma “Emma you have to come with me to the cinema. There is this amazing movie, and we must go to see it”. Emma thinks that it is a fantastic movie, and they go to the cinema together. Emma doesn’t know this is a romantic movie. Five minutes Jerry thinks about this for a moment and answers “I think we will have to wait for a romantic horror movie to come out.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Three things. One, you didn't need to write another version. Two, the word also means in addition. Three, there are many of the same problems with that one as with the other one.

A couple more things. This illustrates why I advise people to post just one paragraph at a time. Finally, all that for such a lame punch line?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
One day, Emma comes home and [STRIKE]invites Jerry to watch a new movie. Jerry thinks that it is a fantastic movie and then[/STRIKE] suggests that they go to the cinema together. Jerry thinks the film title sounds fantastic but he [STRIKE]don’t[/STRIKE] doesn't know [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] it is a horror movie. Five minutes after [STRIKE]watching movies[/STRIKE] the film starts, Jerry [STRIKE]is really unbearable[/STRIKE] can't bear it any more. He [STRIKE]stands up and[/STRIKE] goes to the toilet and throws up. Later, he says “Emma, I don’t think that I can watch [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a movie like that again”.

A few days later, Jerry comes home and [STRIKE]talk[/STRIKE] says to Emma, “Emma, you have to come [STRIKE]with me to go[/STRIKE] to the cinema with me. There is an amazing movie on; we must watch it”. Emma thinks that [STRIKE]it is a[/STRIKE] the title sounds fantastic [STRIKE]movie[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] so they go. [STRIKE]to the cinema together.[/STRIKE] Emma [STRIKE]don’t[/STRIKE] doesn't know this is a romantic movie but five minutes [STRIKE]later[/STRIKE] after it starts, [STRIKE]Emma[/STRIKE] she [STRIKE]stands up[/STRIKE] goes to the bathroom and throws up. Later, she says “Jerry, I don’t think that I can watch [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a movie like [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] that again”. Jerry thinks about this for a moment, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] then [STRIKE]answers[/STRIKE] says “I think we will have to wait for a romantic horror [STRIKE]love[/STRIKE] movie."

See above. You definitely need to work on your third person singular verb endings.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ems, it is as confusing as ever. Jerry, who doesn't like horror films, sees the title and thinks it's not a horror film? What kind of a title would that be? Nightmare on Elm Street? (Maybe not.) It's simply unworkable.

If you are producing a horror film you are going to want a title that will attract people interested in that genre. Then there's the artwork. People will not mistake one for the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.