Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Would you please correct the mistakes in this short text? I looked up the word "lay" in a dictionary, and then the sentences came up in my mind. This is just an exercise.

At the funeral of his colleague Jim, Peter laid his hand on the shoulder of his widow, Hannah.
"I'm sorry," he said and shook her hand. "Jim was a great man. I've known him for more than twenty years."
Hannah, all dressed in black, scoffed. "You believed you knew him. Many did. Only I know what kind of a man he was. He was a swine wearing a mask of kindness."
Jim winced as if bitten by a wasp. "Is that true?" he said.
"Have you ever seen him drunk?" Hannah asked.
Peter shook his head. "No."

"When he was drunk, he metamorphosed into a monster. He bit me black and blue. I often had to wear sunglasses to hide the bruises and in summer, I sometimes wore long sleeves and long skirts because my limbs were black from beatings. I had spent many nights with my neighbours or outside, walking through the streets while waiting for him to sober up."

Jim's face contorted with pain, as if he himself was going through the same ordeal. "But why didn't you leave him?"
"Because of our children. My parents divorced when I was little, I didn't want them to experience the same distress. And when they grew older, I didn't have the courage and energy to take that final step. I probably got used to being beaten and abused. I prayed night after night that he would become gravely ill, but God didn't answer my prayers until two years ago when he got cancer. He had believed to be invincible, the archaeology Professor Jim Johnson, the expert in Ancient Egypt. I read his obituaries in national papers and laughed. You got an impression they were describing a saint. 'Leaving behind a wife and two children. A great loss for academia. Studious, erudite, witty...' I wrote his obituary in my mind, which was, of course, completely opposite, and I toyed with the idea of calling the same papers and tell them my side of the story, which I never did. But I got my revenge anyway as I watched him dying slowly and in pain. At least he used morphine, which I couldn't when I was in pain, but no amount of it seemed to be sufficient. He feared death."

They stood together and watched Jim's coffin on a trolley quickly sliding into the furnace to the sounds of Palestrina's Stabat Mater. Everything was automatic, efficient, fast and with a minimal loss of heat. After a few minutes, a sixty-eight-old body turned into ashes, and Professor Johnson passed into history.

They held each other's hands in silence, looking at each other. Her eyes were large and green and made his heart tremble. She was in her fifties, but her face was without any wrinkles. He had desire to kiss her right there in front of the mourners and his husband's ashes. He wanted to tell her that the black hat looked good on her fair face and hair The thumping of his heart became louder, and he wondered if she could hear it too. He had just discovered a gem, more important than any archaeological discovery he had ever made. He opened his wallet, picked up his business card and gave it to her. "If there is anything I can help, please don't hesitate," he said. She held it in his gloved hand, read from it for a few seconds and then put it in her handbag. She nodded and gave him a smile. This was a good sign. They understood each other.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
"When he was drunk, he metamorphosed into a monster.
She's more likely to say "changed into" or "became" instead of "metamorphosed into" which is a high-register expression.

He bit me black and blue.
I first thought you're talking about some kind of fetish, but then I realized you mean "beat".

I had spent many nights [STRIKE]with my[/STRIKE] at the neighbours' or outside, walking through the streets while waiting for him to sober up."

My parents divorced when I was little, I didn't want [STRIKE]them[/STRIKE] the children to experience the same distress.
Comma splice highlighted in blue.

He had believed to be invincible, the archaeology Professor Jim Johnson, the expert in Ancient Egypt.
I have no idea what that means!

[STRIKE]I read[/STRIKE] Reading his obituaries in the national papers, [STRIKE]and laughed. You got[/STRIKE] you'd be forgiven for thinking [STRIKE]an impression[/STRIKE] they were describing a saint. 'Leaving behind a wife and two children. A great loss for academia. Studious, erudite, witty...' I wrote his obituary in my mind, which was, of course, completely the opposite, and I toyed with the idea of calling the same papers and telling them my side of the story, which I never did. But I got my revenge anyway as I watched him dying slowly and in pain.

At least he used morphine, which I couldn't when I was in pain, but no amount of it seemed to be sufficient. He was always fearful of [STRIKE]feared[/STRIKE] death."
Why "at least"?

They stood together and watched Jim's coffin on a trolley quickly sliding into the furnace to the sounds of Palestrina's Stabat Mater. Everything was automatic, efficient, fast and with a minimal loss of heat. After a few minutes, a sixty-eight-old body turned into ashes, and Professor Johnson passed into history.
I don't get the underlined part.

He had the desire to kiss her right there in front of the mourners and [STRIKE]his[/STRIKE] her husband's ashes. He wanted to tell her that the black hat [STRIKE]looked good on[/STRIKE] suited her fair face and hair. The thumping of his heart became louder, and he wondered if she could hear it too. He had just discovered a gem, more important than any archaeological discovery he had ever made. He opened his wallet, picked [STRIKE]up his[/STRIKE] out a business card and gave it to her. "If there is anything I can help with, please don't hesitate," he said. She held it in [STRIKE]his[/STRIKE] her gloved hand, read from it for a few seconds and then put it in her handbag. She nodded and gave him a smile. This was a good sign. They understood each other.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
"He had believed to be invincible, the archaeology Professor Jim Johnson, the expert in Ancient Egypt." These are Hannah's thoughts. Jim drank believing he was never going to become ill. At the same time, she mentions his profession, which sounds important, but at the same time it is in contrast with his bad behaviour.

I now understand that I used "at least" wrongly. It should be deleted.

"With the minimal loss of heat" is about the modern cremation furnace which is built in such a way that the coffin slides quickly into the furnace and the door is closed behind immediately so that very little heat escapes outside.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
"He had believed to be invincible, the archaeology Professor Jim Johnson, the expert in Ancient Egypt." These are Hannah's thoughts. Jim drank believing he was never going to become ill. At the same time, she mentions his profession, which sounds important, but at the same time it is in contrast with his bad behaviour.
Say "He thought he was invincible".

"With the minimal loss of heat" is about the modern cremation furnace which is built in such a way that the coffin slides quickly into the furnace and the door is closed behind immediately so that very little heat escapes outside.
It sounds too technical and unnecessary. Consider leaving it out.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
At the funeral of his colleague, Jim, Peter laid his hand on the shoulder of his widow, Hannah.

I assume you are talking about the widow of the deceased. Also, "laid his hand on" does not seem natural to me. (But I will consult my usage consultant on that one.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Jim says:

"I knew him for more than twenty years."

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Not a teacher
------

Maybe this "He believed he was the expert in Ancient Egypt, invincible professor Jim Johnson."

I love your story. Can't wait what happens next. ;-)

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Glizdka,

Your version is wrong. Professor Johnson was an expert in Ancient Egypt. I gave this information just to specify him and contrast his professional success with his failure as a human being and a husband. I have written this short story in one go, just as an exercise, and its ends here. If I had meant to write it as a proper short story, I would have written it differently.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Not a teacher
Maybe this: "He believed he was the expert [STRIKE] in [/STRIKE] on ancient Egypt, the invincible Professor Jim Johnson."
I love your story and can't wait to see/read what happens next.
Yes, that can work.
However, note the corrections, especially to the wrong preposition which I had missed before. Saying “in ancient Egypt” would mean he was actually there (an ancient historical figure)!

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Your version is wrong. Professor Johnson was an expert [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] on ancient Egypt. I gave this information just to [STRIKE]specify[/STRIKE] describe him and contrast his professional success with his failure as a human being and a husband. I have written this short story in one go, just as an exercise, and [STRIKE]its[/STRIKE] it ends here. If I had meant to write it as a proper short story, I would have written it differently.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Glizdka, if there is another installment coming, Bassim always puts "TO BE CONTINUED" at the end.

Also, my usage consultant disagreed with me this time. (I fired her, and I'm getting somebody else. ;-) )

Status
Not open for further replies.