Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I find it fascinating how data has impacted our lives. From personalized social media ads to self-driving cars, it is safe to say that we are certainly headed towards a data driven future. There were five exabytes of information created between the dawn of civilization and 2003, but that much information is now created every 2 days. I am very excited at the prospect of devoting my long-term career to such a dynamic, fast-advancing field. Furthermore, based on my educational background, work experience and career interests, I believe that it is the right time for me to pursue a higher education in the field of data science.

Throughout the course of the four-year Bachelor of Technology (BS) degree program in Computer Science and Engineering Program at the prestigious Abdul Kalam technical University, I acquired an overall perspective of this scientific discipline, with particular interest in Object Oriented Programming, Data Structures, Operating Systems, Theory of Computation and Principle of Compiler Design. My keen interest in the subjects translated into A+ in Data Structures Lab and averaging A in other labs. My undergraduate curriculum has thus laid a solid foundation in the various aspects of computer science that are necessary to excel in graduate school.

Besides the course of my Undergraduate education, I have completed a number of courses so as to keep myself up-to-date with latest trends in technology. Projects such as developing “100 MS Scientific Calculator” have honed my programming skills in various programming languages including C, Java, Python and R. And, to build mathematical foundation for Data Science, I did preliminary courses on Machine Learning and Deep Learning. This can be illustrated from the projects made by me on Machine and Deep Learning Apart from the mathematical knowledge, I also did preliminary courses on various technologies that are used in Data Science such as Hadoop, Apache Spark to name a few. All these co-curricular activities have further strengthened my resolve to enter into the field of computer science with specialization in Data Science.

My final year project was to create an interactive Leave Management Website for my institution which uses very less data, but is exceedingly fast. We intend to use the following technologies for actual implementation: JavaScript, JSON, Ajax and JSP. As me and my team worked for this project extensively, I realized the immediate need for efficient methods for accessing the information (textual and multimedia) and the necessity for easier-to-use tools to retrieve information that meets a user’s actual needs. I was awarded a reward for excellence by the Director of institution for exemplary use of concepts of web development with efficient problem-solving skills.

I am confident that I am well suited for graduate studies in data science for several reasons. I am hard working and persistent, but what I really believe is my strong point that sets me apart from the other applicants, is the fact that I’m very organized and meticulous; almost obsessed with the idea of perfection. Being in the computer science world, I know very well that the level of graduate programs in the U.S. is by far higher than in any other country. I am also highly aware that USC has one of the most distinguished graduate Computer Science departments in the United States. Especially in the area of Data Science, which is my primary interest, your department’s research groups are of the strongest in the US and they are involved in various interesting projects.

The Undergraduate Programs, outside courses have made me realize that all that I have ever done up to this day is analogous to storing piles of documents in a memory storage and throwing in a set of methods and algorithms. For a student who has patiently striven to reach a praiseworthy point of proficiency, now is the moment of truth. So, in order to broaden the scope of my knowledge, a Master’s degree from USC with a specialization in Data Science seems to be the most logical approach. USC, accommodating students with the great minds in the field of Data Science such as Fei Sha, Milind Tambe, Viktor Prasanna and many others, has led me to the belief that it will provide me with the invaluable tools I need to prosper genuinely, hoping I will one day represent what USC truly stands for.

Besides research, I wish to be a part of Code the Change, Trojan Cricket Club etc. at USC and contribute in my own small way to the diverse global student body. During the undergraduate program, I have represented my college at national level by participating in a technical paper presentation,” Scrolls 2019” organized by AICTE. Working with the underprivileged youth as a part of “Education for All” has been an invigorating experience. I hope to continue to work with the less fortunate in the surrounding of Los Angeles.

I am confident that I will uphold the reputation of university and become a strong brand Ambassador for the program after graduation. I hope the Admissions Committee will share my enthusiasm and provide me admission. I look forward to being a part of Spring 2022 incoming class.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
What's the application deadline?

Status