Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Dear, I would like to writte a school visit request by email. We are a family mooving from Brazil to an arab/english speaking country this month and before enrolling our kids in other schools, I would like to visit, see the classrooms, building, material, teachers, etc. Also I would like to compare the school systems (UK, US, IB curricullum), since it may differ from what we have here in Brazil. How could I write it all in a formal way, requesting specific day and time to visit?

Thank you in advance!

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi there, and welcome to the forum. :)
Note the correct spelling of "write" and "moving". Also, capitalize "Arab" and "English".

I'm not aware of any Arab English-speaking country. In any case, we cannot write the email for you, but if you write your email and post it below, we'll take a look at it.
Mind you, I really don't think you need to worry about the correctness/formality of the email. The school won't mind too much; they're after your money, not your proficiency in English!

camillalemos

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi there, and welcome to the forum. :)
Note the correct spelling of "write" and "moving". Also, capitalize "Arab" and "English".

I'm not aware of any Arab English-speaking country. In any case, we cannot write the email for you, but if you write your email and post it below, we'll take a look at it.
Mind you, I really don't think you need to worry about the correctness/formality of the email. The school won't mind too much; they're after your money, not your proficiency in English!

Thank you for your reply! If you don't mind, this would be an example:

Dear,

I am a mother of two kids who started grade 2 on February, 1st in Brazil. Since we are moving to UAE in the end of this month, I would like to visit your school and know more about your curriculum, teacher's board, documents needed from students from abroad etc. My husband will be in Dubai on August, 11th and 12th and if it's possible, those days would be a good time for him to visit.

Thank you (or Att?),

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear [name of addressee],

[STRIKE]I am a mother of[/STRIKE] My two [STRIKE]kids[/STRIKE] children [STRIKE]who[/STRIKE] started grade 2 on February (no comma here) 1st in Brazil.

[STRIKE]Since[/STRIKE] We are moving to UAE [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at the end of this month, and [STRIKE]I[/STRIKE] my husband would like to visit your school [STRIKE]and know[/STRIKE] to find out more about your curriculum, teacher's board, and what documents are needed [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] for students from abroad etc. My husband will be in Dubai on August (no comma here) 11th and 12th. [STRIKE]and if it's possible, those days[/STRIKE] Would [STRIKE]be a good time[/STRIKE] it be possible for him to visit on either of those days?

[STRIKE]Thank you (or Att?),[/STRIKE] I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

[Your name]

See my suggested changes above. I don't know what you mean by "teacher's board". Don't you need to know whether the school has any spaces available for your children before you arrange a visit?

camillalemos

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
See my suggested changes above. I don't know what you mean by "teacher's board". Don't you need to know whether the school has any spaces available for your children before you arrange a visit?

That´s so much better! Thank you! Maybe I would add "Are there vacancies available?" or "Is the school accepting new students?". Would it be ok?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
teaching board?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's so much better! Thank you! Maybe I [STRIKE]would[/STRIKE] could/should add "Are there vacancies available?" or "Is the school accepting new students?" (no full stop here) Would [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] one of those be [STRIKE]ok[/STRIKE] OK?

In my opinion, you should potentially save yourself some time and find out first if they have any space available for your children. Phone them to ask. That's the quickest way to find out. If they do, you could just ask them on the phone if your husband can visit or you can send your email. Either way, it would be a waste of your time to send all that information without knowing if your children can even go there.

Note my changes above. When there is a full stop, question mark or exclamation mark inside the quotation marks, don't put a full stop after the quotation marks. There's something wrong with the apostrophe you're trying to use.

camillalemos

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
In my opinion, you should potentially save yourself some time and find out first if they have any space available for your children. Phone them to ask. That's the quickest way to find out. If they do, you could just ask them on the phone if your husband can visit or you can send your email. Either way, it would be a waste of your time to send all that information without knowing if your children can even go there.

Note my changes above. When there is a full stop, question mark or exclamation mark inside the quotation marks, don't put a full stop after the quotation marks. There's something wrong with the apostrophe you're trying to use.

Oh, I see. The problem is that we aren´t living there yet, so I couldn´t call, only email. I checked their websites and they just say from which month they are accepting new students. According to friends living there, the enrollment time started recently. The information I gave is for them to know that we are foreigners and we might delay with some papers and legalized documents, which can be very common and acceptable for some schools over there. Or just to make sure we have a place, even if we are not there yet, since my husband is moving before us. About the apostrophe, I have no idea what´s happening, when I type it appears normally. The issue happens when publishing my answear. :(

Thank you very much! I will save that model of letter and all your tips on correct writing!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
From worldatlas:

As a result of the large community of western expatriates living in the United Arab Emirates, English is more widely spoken than Arabic in the country."

Status
Not open for further replies.