Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Have I made any mistakes?

A few video clips have emerged on social media, showing the Prime Minister holding on to the kite string and running across a field, shrieking with delight. This could not passed by unnoticed by psychologists, who describe this behaviour as the sign of the Peter Pan syndrome. As the result of this, a full parliamentary debate will be held the next week, and the opposition have proposed a no-confidence vote. After the clips appeared, the Prime Minister's residence has been inundated with all kinds of toys which the public send to him, from balls, teddy bears, train sets, toy cars, rocking horses to toy helicopters and mini drones.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Have I made any mistakes?

A few video clips have emerged on social media showing the Prime Minister holding on to a kite string and running across a field, shrieking with delight. This could not pass unnoticed by psychologists, who describe this behaviour as a sign of the Peter Pan syndrome. As the result of this, a full parliamentary debate will be held [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] next week, and the opposition has proposed a no-confidence vote. After the clips appeared, the Prime Minister's residence has been inundated with all kinds of toys which the public sent to him, from balls, teddy bears, train sets, toy cars, rocking horses to toy helicopters and mini drones.

In British English "the opposition have proposed" might be okay, because "opposition" would be seen as plural.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
You're right regarding "the opposition" because it can be treated as plural in BrE, but also "the public" can be seen as plural in BrE. I have used the present "send". But I am not sure whether I should use the present continues and write instead "which the public are sending to him"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could say has been sending. Of, course, that suggests that they are still doing it. And that's not a pleasant thought.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You're right regarding "the opposition" because it can be treated as plural in BrE, but also "the public" can be seen as plural in BrE. I have used the present "send". But I am not sure whether I should use the present continuous and write instead "which the public are sending to him"

I can't stop thinking about having to deal with all those toys coming in every day.

(True story. My wife and I were in the park one day when we saw this guy who had a kite way up in the sky. He didn't want to go to the trouble of pulling it back so he handed the string to us. I don't remember what we did.)

Status
Not open for further replies.