Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is the following letter grammatically correct?

To whom it may concern,
It is my great pleasure to write this letter of recommendation for Mr. XXX.
I was his supervisor for his MSC thesis. We discussed different aspects of artificial intelligence in water science during his thesis and XXX displayed analytical skills and a keen intellect. Simply put, he was a true pleasure to work with. We published different articles during our collaboration, some of more important that are listed below:
1- XXXX
2-XXXX
He was instructor and consulting professor for two students that I was supervisor for them as well. Two published paper that was more important are listed below:
1- XXXX
2-XXXX
I would rate XXX's overall performance in these subjects as great. This is evidenced by his grades and projects.
Therefore, I highly recommend that you consider XXX’s application, as He will be a great asset to your program.
In the case, any information is required. Please do not hesitate to contact me.

Respectfully submitted,

Dr. XXX

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is the following letter grammatically correct?

To Whom It May Concern,
It is my great pleasure to write this letter of recommendation for Mr. XXX.
I was his supervisor for his MSC thesis. We discussed different aspects of artificial intelligence in water science during his thesis and XXX displayed analytical skills and a keen intellect. Simply put, he was a true pleasure to work with. We published different articles during our collaboration, some of the more important [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] are listed below:
1- XXXX
2-XXXX
He was an instructor and consulting professor for two students that I [STRIKE]was supervisor for them [/STRIKE] supervised as well. Two more important published papers [STRIKE]that [/STRIKE][STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] are listed below:
1- XXXX
2- XXXX
I would rate XXX's overall performance in these subjects as great (a little too informal). This is evidenced by his grades and projects.
Therefore, I highly recommend that you consider XXX’s application, as he [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] would be a great asset to your program.
In the case that any additional information is required, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Respectfully submitted,

Dr. XXX

A few suggestions.

MK22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is it OK if I use excellent instead of great?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
If the letter is to an American recipient, use a colon instead of a comma after the salutation.

To Whom It May Concern:

In the US, a colon is used in formal letters (business letters, recommendation letters, letters to people you don't know, letters to people of high rank), while a comma is suited only for informal letters (e.g., to friends, relatives, and loved ones). This only applies to the salutation.

Status
Not open for further replies.