Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Could you please proofread my translation? I am not sure if the word ''teeth'' is the right word choice.

The trip to this geological wonder, the monasteries of Meteora which are inluded on the Unesco World Heritage list would be unforgettable. You have to see them with your own eyes to believe in their existence. Christian monasteries of Meterora were founded on the giant steep cliffs. The magestic cliffs looking towards the sky convey a sense of indescribable fear and admiration. The monasteries were dubbed the 8th wonder of the wolrd. It's a humble attempt to describe the splendid monasteries and the unique mixture of the beauty of the nature and the greatness of the human spirit. ''Hanging up in the sky'' is the English translation of the name. Hundreds of cliffs that look like giant teeth create breathtaking landcapes. With the course of time the cliffs acquired unusual forms turning the place into ''the town of cliffs.'' The monasteries of XIV -XVI centuries were established in an unusual way on the top of the cliffs. Invaluable treasures of historical and culrural heritage with the richest collection of icons frescoes and unique architecture. The mystery of the construction still hasn't been solved. In the heyday of the monastery life in the 16th century there were 24 monasteries. Now there are only 6 left. 4 men's monasteries and 2 women's monasteries. They are all open to public. The monasteries of Meteora are one of the most visited piligrimage sites in Greece.

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Could you please proofread my translation? I am not sure if the word ''teeth'' is the right word/choice.

The trip to this geological wonder, the Monasteries of Meteora, which are included on the Unesco World Heritage List would be unforgettable. You have to see them with your own eyes to believe they're real. [STRIKE]in their existence.[/STRIKE] Christian monasteries [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] in Meterora were founded on the giant steep cliffs there. The majestic cliffs looking towards the sky convey a sense of indescribable fear and admiration. The monasteries were dubbed the 8th Wonder of the World. It's a humble attempt to describe the splendid monasteries and the unique [STRIKE]mixture[/STRIKE] combination of the beauty of [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] nature and the greatness of the human spirit. ''Hanging up in the sky'' is the English translation of the word "Meteora". [STRIKE]name.[/STRIKE] Hundreds of cliffs that look like giant teeth create breathtaking landscapes. With the course of time, the cliffs acquired unusual forms, earning the nickname [STRIKE]turning the place into[/STRIKE] ''the town of cliffs.'' The monasteries of XIV -XVI centuries were established in an unusual way on the tops of the cliffs. Invaluable treasures of historical and cultural heritage with the richest collection of icons, frescoes and unique architecture [ That is not a sentence; there is no verb]. The mystery of the construction method still hasn't been solved. In their heyday [STRIKE]of the monastery life[/STRIKE] in the 16th century, there were 24 monasteries. Now there are only 6 left, four for monks [STRIKE]men's monasteries[/STRIKE] and two for nuns. [STRIKE]women's monasteries.[/STRIKE] They are all open to the public. The Monasteries of Meteora are one of the most visited pilgrimage sites in Greece.

I don't quite understand the underlined part.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I don't quite understand the underlined part.

Thank you, teechar. I must have underlined it by chance. Is it correct? The monasteries of XIV -XVI centuries were established in an unusual way on the tops of the cliffs representing invaluable treasures of historical and cultural heritage with the richest collection of icons, frescoes and unique architecture [ That is not a sentence; there is no verb]. I added representing. Iwas going to use either ''representing'' or ''with invaluable treasures....''
I found 'men's monasteries and women's monasteries in this article https://cloisteredlife.com/directory and I thought it was right.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I must have underlined it by chance.

You didn't underline it! Teechar underlined it to draw attention to it, and then told you that the underlined part was a part he didn't understand.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Ah, I didn't understand. The author of the article says that the way the monasteries were established is unusual. Right on the top of the cliffs.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Those monasteries [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] from XIV -XVI centuries were [STRIKE]established[/STRIKE] built in an unusual place - [STRIKE]way[/STRIKE] on the tops of [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] sea cliffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.