Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
UK
Please correct any errors in my sentences.

In a company as big and influential as Roll Royce, you'd expect to undertake a lot of challenging projects, which will put to the test not only the knowledge you'd acquired at university, but also your interpersonal skills. It's important to emphasize that the ability you'll use more and therefore develop is problem-solving, without a doubt.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

In a company as big and influential as Roll Royce, you'd expect to undertake a lot of challenging projects, which will put to the test not only the knowledge you'd acquired at university, but also your interpersonal skills. It's important to emphasize that, [STRIKE]the ability you'll use more and therefore develop is problem-solving,[/STRIKE] without a doubt, the skills you will acquire and develop and use will focus on problem solving.

OK. In addition to the revision above, first, I don’t like either of the “you’d”s in that context (or maybe any context). Suggest you use “you would” and “you have” respectively. Second, while I’m on contractions, scratch “you’ll” and use full form “you will”.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The company name is Rolls-Royce. In full, it's Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Limited.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I would omit the first red "and" in post #2.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

In a company as big and influential as Rolls-Royce you expect to undertake s lot of challenging projects, which will put to the test not only the knowledge you acquired at university ....

NamelessKing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
UK
Say:

In a company as big and influential as Rolls-Royce you expect to undertake s lot of challenging projects, which will put to the test not only the knowledge you acquired at university ....

I know your proffer sounds more natural, but is it wrong to say "you would expect" and "had acquired"?

NamelessKing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
UK
OK. In addition to the revision above, first, I don’t like either of the “you’d”s in that context (or maybe any context). Suggest you use “you would” and “you have” respectively. Second, while I’m on contractions, scratch “you’ll” and use full form “you will”.

What's wrong about using contractions?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

In a company as big and influential as Roll Royce, you'd expect to undertake a lot of challenging projects, which will put to the test not only the knowledge you'd acquired at university, but also your interpersonal skills. It's important to emphasize that the ability you'll use more and therefore develop is problem-solving, without a doubt.

What's wrong about using contractions?

For me, it depends on the formality of the piece. If you were writing this to a friend who has applied for a job at Rolls-Royce and you were just trying to give them some friendly advice, I'd keep "It's" and "you'll". I'd use "you should expect" at the beginning (you can't contract that) and simply "you acquired" (so no contraction necessary).

If, however, this was a formal letter from, say, HR at Rolls-Royce giving you some advance information after you applied for a job there, I'd remove the contractions. I'd still use "You should expect" and "you acquired" though.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I know your proffer sounds more natural, but is it wrong to say "you would expect" and "had acquired"?

I would expect that in a sentence like:

You would expect that, but you'd be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.