Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
"On your bike" is UK slang and means go away. I'm wondering if it could be used in my example. Have I made any mistakes?

Bob was devouring his lunch at an outdoor restaurant when a beggar approached him. She was a woman in her thirties, wearing a red scarf on her dark hair and carrying a large blue plastic sack on her back. She shoved a framed picture of her children into his face. "Please," she said in a pleading voice. "I have a sick child. Give me some money."

Lunch was sacred to Bob and he hated to be disturbed. He gave the woman a murderous stare and shouted, "On your bike!" She didn't expect his reaction and winced. "Please," she tried again and held out her open palm, which she put on the table. Bob's face went crimson, and he pointed the knife he was cutting his meat with into her face. "Are you mad? On your bike, or I'll make mince of you," he growled. The woman muttered something, which sounded like a curse and turned away. Bob returned to his meal, watching her bent figure dragging her blue sack down the street. "Damn." Bob muttered while chewing on his steak. "What kind of society have we become? You can't eat your lunch in peace anymore."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It looks good to this American English speaker. (Except for "devouring", which seems weird.)

Status
Not open for further replies.