1. Unregistered guest

thank you for your help

Dear teacher,
    I'm doing the reading comprehension questions of some exam papers, but there are some points that I don't understand. Could you tell me the meaning of the follwoing phrases or sentences? Thank you very much.
    1)non-bifocal wearers
    2)lowering the monitor increases the range of comfortable head and neck postures which can be adopted while allowing gaze angles which are comfortable for the visual system.(In this sentence, I don't understand the latter part "while allowing...".
    3) Because of this, elderly people are more likely to develop heat emergencies, such as heat exhaustion and heat stroke. (In this sentence, I don't understand " heat emergencies ".)
    4)The combined effects of skin aging can cause increased bruising and skin tears.(In this sentence, I don't understand "skin tears".)
    5)This loss of fat also means a person has less natural insulation.An older person is at greater risk for a low body temperature, or hypothermia, when exposed to cold. (In this sentence, I don't understand "natural insulation".)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: thank you for your help

1)non-bifocal wearers

Bi-focals are eyeglasses that have special lenses: the top and middle portion of the lens is for distance viewing, and the lower part of the lense is for close-up work or reading. (When folks get older, their "near" vision gets weak, and they need glasses to read small print.)

2)lowering the monitor increases the range of comfortable head and neck postures which can be adopted while allowing gaze angles which are comfortable for the visual system.(In this sentence, I don't understand the latter part "while allowing...".

The computer monitor is positioned in such a way that the user doesn't have to hold his head or neck in an uncomfortable position, and it's also in a suitable position for people who have poor near vision and usually read through the bottom half of their bifocals. (If the monitor was raised up, a bifocal wearer would have to tilt his head back in an uncomfortable position to read the screen.)

3) Because of this, elderly people are more likely to develop heat emergencies, such as heat exhaustion and heat stroke. (In this sentence, I don't understand " heat emergencies ".)
    4)The combined effects of skin aging can cause increased bruising and skin tears.(In this sentence, I don't understand "skin tears".)

"Heat emergencies" are instances where an extremely hot or humid temperature can make you physically ill. Heat stroke and heat exhaustion are the two most common heat emergencies. The body can't cool itself down quickly enough through perspiration, and you dehydrate as a result. If the body's temperature gets too high, it can cause brain damage or even death.

5)This loss of fat also means a person has less natural insulation.An older person is at greater risk for a low body temperature, or hypothermia, when exposed to cold. (In this sentence, I don't understand "natural insulation".)

The human body has a layer of protective fat just under the skin. This fat helps to insulate the body; that is, it helps to keep you warm in cold temperatures, sort of like a skin diver's wetsuit. Body fat also stores nutrients and cushions the internal organs.