Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Hello, newcomer here and obviously not a native English speaker.

So, short introduction, I'm trying to write a story in English. Thing is, even until today, I may have some difficulties applying grammar basics, understand them, and get used to them.

Now, to the question, I have this paragraph.

--
The doctors at the hospital thought that Rolf suffered from some kind of neurological problem. The exact diagnosis, however, was uncertain. The fainting before wasn't caused by dehydration as what Rolf's mother thought. But Rolf's condition looked healthy, so Rolf asked to let him get discharged from the hospital. The doctors denied the discharge request as they're still trying to diagnose for the fainting and the memory loss. Rolf then gave the doctors 2 weeks to find something if they think that there is something wrong with him.
--
(Do tell me if you need me to explain further of what's going on with the story, even I have difficulties understanding that.)

The paragraph is supposedly to be in something like a biography or past history, but my past tense understanding is a real mess. So I'd be glad if someone can guide me on how to fix the grammars and maybe even the whole paragraph if you will.

Oh, it's purely my hobby, not assignments/homework/such.

Thank you.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello Silversky, and welcome to the forum. :)

(Do tell me if you need me to explain further of what's going on with the story, even I have difficulties understanding that.)

What does the underlined part mean? If you wrote the story, how can you not know what's going on?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, I'm a newcomer here and [STRIKE]obviously[/STRIKE] not a native English speaker.

So, here is a short introduction. I'm trying to write a story in English. The thing is, [STRIKE]even until today[/STRIKE] until now, I [STRIKE]may[/STRIKE] have had some difficulties applying grammar basics, understanding them, and getting used to them.

Now, to the question. I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] wrote this paragraph.

--
The doctors at the hospital thought that Rolf [STRIKE]suffered[/STRIKE] was suffering from some kind of neurological problem. The exact diagnosis, however, was uncertain. The fainting before wasn't caused by dehydration, as [STRIKE]what[/STRIKE] Rolf's mother had thought. But Rolf [STRIKE]'s condition[/STRIKE] looked healthy, so [STRIKE]Rolf[/STRIKE] he asked to [STRIKE]let him get[/STRIKE] be discharged from the hospital. The doctors denied the discharge request as [STRIKE]they're[/STRIKE] they were still trying to diagnose [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] the cause of the fainting and the memory loss. Rolf then gave the doctors 2 weeks to find something if they think that there is something wrong with him.
--

The paragraph is [STRIKE]supposedly[/STRIKE] supposed/intended to be in something like a biography or past history, but my past tense understanding is a real mess. [STRIKE]So[/STRIKE] I'd be glad if someone can guide me on how to fix the [STRIKE]grammars[/STRIKE] grammar and maybe even the whole paragraph. [STRIKE]if you will.[/STRIKE]

Oh, I should let you know that it's purely my hobby, not an assignment[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE]/homework.[STRIKE]such[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]Thank you.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you.

See above. My corrections are in red, comments are in grey, and parts I don't understand are in blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.