• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

stronger support for a hypothesis

Source : SAT Completion, 11-4, publisher : Korean Education Broadcasting System, author : unknown

Successful prediction is usually considered stronger support for a hypothesis than the explanation of an equal quantity of observation known to the creator of the hypothesis at the time of its creation. This is not hard to justify on purely logical grounds and appears valid as a result of experience. Perhaps an additional explanation is as follows: A hypothesis not only should fit the facts which brought about its creation but should also be compatible with the rest of the body of science. This is a very hard condition to satisfy because of the scope and complexity of modern science. It is laborious to ascertain whether a given hypothesis is in fact compatible with everything already known. But if the investigator knows that his hypothesis is going to be tested in the near future by experiments based on its predicted consequences, he will probably be much more careful to see if it does fit the known facts than will be the case if he does not expect an immediate test of this sort.

1. How can I analyze "than will be the case" grammar-wise? "will be the case" seems to be "than he will for the case".
    he will probably be much more careful to see if it does fit the known facts than will be the case if he does not expect an immediate test of this sort.

2. Is the gist that to make successful prediction, you need to make more logical grounds and more experiments?

VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Re: stronger support for a hypothesis

I felt that it would be more important to know the difference between "successful prediction" and "an equal quantity of observation" in this passage.If you know the difference, please let me know.

Successful prediction is usually considered stronger support for a hypothesis than the explanation of an equal quantity of observation known to the creator of the hypothesis at the time of its creation.
    Last edited by keannu; 23-Aug-2019 at 23:43.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

The sentence strikes me as a very odd way to phrase the simple idea that the predictive power of a given hypothesis is more highly valued than its explanatory power.

I have no idea what the writer is thinking with an equal quantity of observation known to the creator. Perhaps I'm missing something, but it just sounds like poor writing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    1. How can I analyze "than will be the case" grammar-wise? "will be the case" seems to be "than he will for the case".
    he will probably be much more careful to see if it does fit the known facts than will be the case if he does not expect an immediate test of this sort.
    The phrase will be the case is unnecessary and distracting. It's not worth analysing. Just remove those four words (keeping than) and the sentence should make better sense.

VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    The sentence strikes me as a very odd way to phrase the simple idea that the predictive power of a given hypothesis is more highly valued than its explanatory power.

I have no idea what the writer is thinking with an equal quantity of observation known to the creator. Perhaps I'm missing something, but it just sounds like poor writing to me.

The phrase will be the case is unnecessary and distracting. It's not worth analysing. Just remove those four words (keeping than) and the sentence should make better sense.
    As for "explanation of an equal quantity of observation ", I guess "quantity of observation" refers to "the observation times of a phenomenon" such as the following example and "predictive power" is the effort to make valid the hypothesis derived from the observation by having as many experiments and logical reasoning as possible.
    This could be nothing but my assumption as you think this writing is not well done.

observation example : Falling objects drop at the same rate (for instance a pen and a bowling ball dropped from the same height)

predictive power of a given hypothesis is more highly valued than its explanatory power.