• Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

take any crap and take abuse in one sentence - meaning

Hello everybody!

Big guys don’t take any crap from small guys, so just because girls are weaker than boys is no excuse to take abuse from them (if it’s a real attack). A little slap may be something you can laugh off but it really matters about context, and we should not encourage girls or women to think they can just hit males and get away with it.

Based on the text above, I would like to ask you if I get the bolded sentence right.

My interpretation 1: Big guys don’t allow themselves to be beaten up by small boys, then just because girls are weaker than boys does not mean that they (women) should slap men across the face.

My interpretation 2: Big guys defend themselves against small boys, so just because girls are weaker than boys does not mean that they (women) should abuse men.

Do you agree with my understanding?

The source: https://www.quora.com/I-was-slapped-...l-what-do-I-do

2. Key Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

a little slap .......

Hello,

Big guys don’t take any crap from small guys, so just because girls are weaker than boys is no excuse to take abuse from them (if it’s a real attack). A little slap may be something you can laugh off but it really matters about context, and we should not encourage girls or women to think they can just hit males and get away with it.

Based on the text above, I would like to ask you if I get the underlined sentence right.

My interpretation: A little slap may be something (that) you can ignore/turn into a joke (although sometimes it may be painful) but it really depends on under what circumstances the quarrel took place, and we should not instill in girls or women the idea they can just hit males and go unpunished for doing so.

What do you think?

3. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: a little slap .......

It's a clumsy sentence with a misused preposition. I think you understand the author's intended meaning.
    I am not a teacher.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: take any crap and take abuse in one sentence - meaning

Quote Originally Posted by JACEK1 View Post
    Hello everybody!

Big guys don’t take any cr*p from small guys, so just because girls are weaker than boys, there is no excuse to take abuse from them (if it’s a real attack). A little slap may be something you can laugh off but it context really matters, about context, and we should not encourage girls or women to think they can just hit males and get away with it.

Based on the text above, I would like to ask you if I get have understood the bolded bold sentence right.

My interpretation 1: Big guys don’t allow themselves to be beaten up by small boys, then so just because girls are being weaker than boys does not mean that they (women) should slap men across the face. ("Hit" doesn't only mean "slap across the face".)

My interpretation 2: Big guys defend themselves against small boys, so just because girls are being weaker than boys does not mean that they (women) should abuse men.

Do you agree with my understanding?

The source: https://www.quora.com/I-was-slapped-...l-what-do-I-do
    See my suggested corrections above. I'm not sure why the writer used the (alleged) difference in strength between girls and boys and then went on to mention only violence between men and woman. Your two interpretations are so different from each other that it's hard to compare them. Also, I don't think either of them exactly fits the original. The writer seems be equating small boys to girls. He/She seems to be saying "If a big boy doesn't accept violence from a small boy, then he shouldn't accept it from a girl". That seems like an odd way of looking at it.

For what it's worth, here's my thinking:

Boys shouldn't hit boys.
    Girls shouldn't hit girls.
    Boys shouldn't hit girls.
    Girls shouldn't hit boys.
    Men shouldn't hit men.
    Women shouldn't hit women.
    Men shouldn't hit women.
    Women shouldn't hit men.
    Adults shouldn't hit children.
    Children shouldn't hit adults.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

5. Key Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

I have learnt on the Internet that "to take crap from someone" means "to be mistreated/maltreated/bossed around". "To take crap from someone" means "to defend oneself fom somebody".

The same goes for "to take abuse from somebody". It means what you said it means.
    Last edited by JACEK1; 24-Aug-2019 at 15:15.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I have merged these two threads, both based on the same piece.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

7. Senior Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by JACEK1 View Post
    "To take crap from someone" means "to defend oneself from somebody".

If you're taking crap from someone, there's no suggestion you are actually defending yourself until that is clearly said. If defence is not stated, in fact, then the definite implication is that you are allowing yourself to be abused without defending yourself.

"Crap" is one of those words that is borderline-offensive. Be very careful with it, and try not to say it in genteel or mixed company.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 26-Aug-2019 at 22:41. Reason: Fixed quote box
    Retired proofreader. ESL tutor. Not a teacher. Nor a typist, evidently.