English Teacher
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Hello!

If somebody can help me with ideas or direct me to a link on this site that already exists and deals with my teaching issue, I would be very grateful.

English B1 level, young adults and adults. The lesson has a topic, the vocabulary given is related to it. I need a speaking activity in which my students can use the vocabulary presented in the lesson and at the same time use an Indicative Mood tense, let's say, Pres Perf Simple, so that they revise it and consolidate it orally.

Thank you!

liliumcandidum

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome back after eight and a half years, liliumcandidum!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi liliumcandidum

There are a few things here that don't make sense to me.

English B1 level, young adults and adults. The lesson has a topic, the vocabulary given is related to it. I need a speaking activity in which my students can use the vocabulary presented in the lesson

Yes, that's right.

and at the same time use an Indicative Mood tense

Why?

let's say, Pres Perf Simple

What do you mean? Present perfect simple or not? Why do you feel the need to do this? How is this related to the vocabulary? Or to the lesson content?

so that they revise it and consolidate it orally.

How can they revise something they haven't studied yet? How can they revise something they have studied with a speaking activity? (Don't you mean 'practise'?) What exactly do you want them to consolidate?

I think you need to be much clearer about your teaching aims. Make sure you think very carefully about these first, and stick to them closely. Don't distract (in your lesson plan at least) from these goals. If the focus of the lesson is on vocabulary, you needn't worry about grammar at all.

If you want to tell us here what your lesson aims are exactly, we'll be happy to make suggestions if we can.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thank you!
You're welcome, but you'll be pleased to know that in your absence we introduced a Thank button in the bottom left-hand corner of every post. Just click on that instead of writing a 'thank you' post.:-D

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Hello!

I teach in a private language centre and the method of teaching in B1 level requires that vocabulary, reading, grammar and speaking be covered in the same session, with primary stress on speaking. Listening should be too, but, in B1 level, I for one don't do it because of 2 reasons:

- by far not enough time for it (it's eaten up by the other skills)
- I have seen so far, in so many years, that my B1 adult students are bad at producing B1 English not at understanding it (at the beginning of my career in this centre, many of them told me that if they wanted to listen to English, they can do it for free by turning on the radio, tv, internet, etc, not pay for a course). I do not prepare them for any staple English exams where they should know how to approach a listening exercise; when this is the case, I change the strategy, of course.

As a personal note, I teach adults from almost all social stations who, as years go by, are more and more tired and overwhelmed by life issues when they come to class, so it's me who has to adapt in such a way so that I don't lower the standards but also climb down to their level, and that they still learn good English, too. Plus, they should like English and continue to come to classes.

As I teacher I strive for excellence, I was educated in this manner, but it seems that what I want and what is required is not the same anymore. It's sad, as I see it, but this is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.