Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Have I made any mistakes?

When Ben grew up, he would often think about his parents. They were obsessed with work and didn't bother to spend much time with him. They had bought him many toys, but he needed love and attention. If he had been able to choose, he would have certainly chosen different parents, more caring and less fixated on material things. He wished he could talk with them about the past, and how they harmed him, but they lived in a different world and would not understand anything. They probably had not got much love from their parents either, and didn't know what it meant. Ben wondered why they had a child when their careers had been the most important things in their lives.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Are you writing about Ben's thoughts as he grew up, or when he had grown up?

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I am writing about his thoughts when he had grown up.
Should I start with "When Ben had grown up, he would often think about his parents."?

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes, start it with "had grown up". And pay particular attention to the sequence of tenses throughout: what you should express by the past perfect and the simple past.

Last edited:

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
abaka,

One of my weak point in English is that I often mix the past perfect and the simple past, although I know the rule. With the past perfect I should write things that happened and ended in the past. The things that happened after should be expressed with the simple past.
Maybe I should start my second sentence with "had been" instead of "were".

They had been obsessed with work and didn't bother to spend much time with him.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes. And keep going until you've finished revising the entire paragraph. "Weak points".

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Would this version be OK?
When Ben had grown up, he would often think about his parents. They had been obsessed with work and didn't bother to spend much time with him. They had bought him many toys, but he needed love and attention. If he had been able to chose, he would have certainly chosen different parents, more caring and less fixated on material things. He wished he could talk with them about the past, and how they had harmed him, but they lived in a different world, and would not understand anything. They probably had not got much love from their parents either, and didn't know what it meant. Ben wondered why they had had a child when their careers had been the most important things in their lives.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Only a couple of quibbles. :)

When Ben had grown up, he would often think about his parents. They had been obsessed with work and hadn't bothered to spend much time with him. They had bought him many toys, but he had needed love and attention. If he had been able to chose, he would have certainly chosen different parents -- more caring and less fixated on material things. He wished he could talk with them about the past, and how they had harmed him, but they lived in a different world, and would not understand anything. They probably had not got much love from their parents either, and didn't know what it meant. Ben wondered why they had had a child when their careers had been the most important things in their lives.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd use they bought.

Status
Not open for further replies.