Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Australia
Hi everyone,

I'm preparing for my IELTS test next month at home so I really need your help and opinion on my writing.
This is just for practicing so it's not an assignment or so.
I'm grateful for any of your contribution. Thank you so much.

==========================================
The topic is: Some people believe that capital punishment should never be used. Others, however, argue that it should be allowed for the most serious crimes.
Discuss both views and give your opinion.

Capital punishment has long been a controversy in the society. While many people are against this punishment, others support it when it comes to the most serious crimes. In my opinion, capital punishment should never be used because I believe no one should have the right to take anybody else’s life, including the law enforcement agency.

For the pro death penalty, loss of humanity is the paramount reason why they support this punishment. They believe that offenders who commit felonies such as murder or manslaughter are senseless and inhumane. Therefore, this type of person can never realize how savage and evil his crime is so there is no case in which he feels guilty and regretful for this crime when serving his imprisonment sentence. Moreover, people are concerned that even the non-parole life imprisonment would not have the sufficient deterrent effect to prevent any similar case to happen. Therefore, the serious perpetrator must be removed permanantly from the society as there is no chance that they will turn over a new leaf, and this punishment could also serve as an example for other people to avoid commiting such felonies.

On the other hand, many people are against the capital punishment as they believe taking anyone’s life is crime and the government should not punish a criminal by the same crime. If the government said that murder is a crime, then they should not go against their own regulations and take a person’s life. That makes them the same kind of the murderers. Besides, although every sentence must have surely been scrutinized before its announcement, it is likely that the sentence is wrong and the accused is innocent. In this case, if the accused was sentenced to death, it would be a great unjustice for him and his family that no compensation could make up for.

In my opinion, capital punishment should not be used because I believe serving the punishment in prison is more suffering and tormented. Death seems to be too easy for those criminals. Keeping them alive, imprisoning them alone in a dark cell for many years and letting them be punished by their own obsessions would be living not by death for them. Most importantly, I am also strongly against killing people, especially on purpose and under the cover of law enforcement. It is still murdering.

In summary, the application of capital punishment is still controversal among the society and everyone has their own arguments for supporting or opposing this punishment. However, I personally believe killing is a crime and no one should ever be authorized to kill anyone.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi everyone,
I'm preparing, at home, for my IELTS test next month,[STRIKE] at home [/STRIKE] so I really need your help and opinion on my writing.
This is just for [STRIKE] practicing [/STRIKE] practice, so it's not an assignment or anything like that. [STRIKE] so. [/STRIKE]
I'm grateful for any [STRIKE]of your[/STRIKE] contribution. Thank you so much.

==========================================
The topic is: Some people believe that capital punishment should never be used. Others, however, argue that it should be allowed for the most serious crimes.
Discuss both views and give your opinion.

Capital punishment has long been a controversial question in [STRIKE] the [/STRIKE] society. While many people are against this punishment, others support it when it comes to the most serious crimes. In my opinion, capital punishment should never be used because I believe no one, including the government, should have the right to take anybody else’s life. [STRIKE] , including the law enforcement agency. [/STRIKE]

[SUP]([/SUP][SUP]1[/SUP][SUP])[/SUP][STRIKE] For [/STRIKE]On the one hand, some people are in favour of the [STRIKE] pro [/STRIKE] death penalty, and they support it for several[STRIKE] loss of humanity is the paramount [/STRIKE] reasons. [STRIKE] why they support this punishment. [/STRIKE] They believe that offenders who commit felonies such as murder or [STRIKE] manslaughter [/STRIKE] other serious crimes are senseless and inhumane. Therefore, this type of person can never realize how savage and evil[STRIKE] his [/STRIKE] [SUP]([/SUP][SUP]2[/SUP][SUP])[/SUP]their crime is, so [STRIKE] there is no case in which he [/STRIKE] [SUP]([/SUP][SUP]2[/SUP][SUP])[/SUP]they are unlikely to feel guilty and regretful for this crime when serving [STRIKE] his imprisonment [/STRIKE] a prison sentence. Moreover, people are concerned that even [STRIKE] the [/STRIKE] non-parole life imprisonment would not have the [STRIKE] sufficient [/STRIKE] necessary deterrent effect to prevent [STRIKE] any [/STRIKE] similar crimes occurring. [STRIKE] case to happen. [/STRIKE] Therefore, the [STRIKE] serious [/STRIKE] perpetrator must be removed permanently from [STRIKE] the [/STRIKE] society as there is no chance that they will turn over a new leaf. [STRIKE] and [/STRIKE] [SUP]([/SUP][SUP]3[/SUP][SUP]) [/SUP]They also point out that this punishment could also serve as an effective deterrent[STRIKE] example for other people to avoid [/STRIKE] to stop would-be offenders from committing such felonies.

On the other hand, many people are against [STRIKE] the [/STRIKE] capital punishment as they believe taking anyone’s life is a crime in itself, and the government should not punish a criminal by committing a[STRIKE] the same [/STRIKE] crime. If the government [STRIKE] said [/STRIKE] says that murder is a crime, then they should not go against their own regulations and take a person’s life. That would basically make them [STRIKE] the same kind of the [/STRIKE] murderers also. Besides, although it is presumed that every sentence [STRIKE] must have surely been [/STRIKE] is scrutinized before its announcement, it is [STRIKE] likely [/STRIKE] possible that [STRIKE] the [/STRIKE] a sentence is wrong and the accused is, in fact, innocent. In this case, if the accused was sentenced to death, it would be a great [STRIKE] unjustice [/STRIKE] injustice for [STRIKE] him [/STRIKE] [SUP]([/SUP][SUP]2[/SUP][SUP])[/SUP]them and [STRIKE] his [/STRIKE] [SUP]([/SUP][SUP]2[/SUP][SUP])[/SUP]their family, and[STRIKE] that [/STRIKE] no compensation could make up for their loss of life.

In my opinion, capital punishment should not be used because I believe serving [STRIKE] the punishment [/STRIKE] extended time in prison is sufficiently punitive. [STRIKE] more suffering and tormented. [/STRIKE] [SUP]([/SUP][SUP]4[/SUP][SUP])[/SUP]Death seems to be too easy for those criminals. Keeping them alive, imprisoning them alone in a dark cell for many years and letting them be punished by their own obsessions would be living not by death for them. Most importantly, I am also strongly against killing people, especially on purpose and under the cover of the law.[STRIKE] enforcement. It is [/STRIKE] That still amounts to murder. [STRIKE] ing. [/STRIKE]

In summary, the application of capital punishment is still controversial among [STRIKE] the [/STRIKE] people in society, and everyone has their own arguments for supporting or opposing this punishment. However, I personally believe killing is a crime and no one should ever be authorized to kill anyone.

1- Try to pay attention to the topic sentences of your body paragraphs. The topic sentence should be general and should cover the scope of the entire paragraph. Also, a body paragraph should follow a general-to-specific structure. That means it should get more specific (give examples/facts) towards the end.

2- Try to be gender neutral.

3- Start a new sentence for a separate point/argument.

4- That’s not well written, and it seems vindictive! Just write a simple sentence to briefly explain your point. Avoid being emotive.

Status
Not open for further replies.