Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I need to get to the bottom of this. And this is a quotation from a TV show "Dear white people". To be specific, a profile from a gay dating app.

I'm TopForTight97. Dom. Straight-acting muscle top for otter-y sub bottom. No fatties, no fems. No rice, no spice. No curry.​

I'm especially interested in what the nickname means. And why "muscle", not "muscular."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not sure this is the right forum for this question.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'm not sure this is the right forum for this question.

The source, Dear White People, is a TV show on Netflix. So in that sense the question is a good one for us. We should try to help our students understand what they hear on television. But guesses are the best I can do in terms of answers. I guess that "no rice" and "no curry" mean that the advertiser does not want people of east Asian or south Asian ancestry respectively. These expressions are not slang so much as they are code. Code is used because it is unacceptable to say such things explicitly.

As for the actual gay slang, Urban Dictionary has a definition of otter. I'm sure you can find more help by googling gay slang.

Last edited:

Talagrim

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Well, yeah, Urban Dictionary did help me with that, but I still wasn't sure. E.g. I could only guess whether "spice" means "latin" or something else.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'm sure there are a great many of us who aren't sure. Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.