[Grammar] He's writing a book or He writes a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vajny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi, basically when i will be in situation, when my friend next to me is writting a book at the moment. And someone will ask me "What is he doing?" should i answer "He writes a book" or "He is writing a book?" And why? Thank you

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi, [STRIKE]basically when i will be in situation,[/STRIKE] when/if my friend next to me is writing a book at the moment and someone [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] asks me "What is he doing?" should I answer "He writes a book" or "He is writing a book" And why? Thank you.

Hello Vajny, and welcome to the forum. :)
Since the question is in the present continuous, you should answer in the present continuous. However, do you mean that your friend is writing (authoring) a book, or do you mean he's writing something in a book/notebook?

Vajny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well, it's a bit from both. He's authoring the book, but also writting it at the moment. But as i thought when the question is in present continuous you should answer with present continuous.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, it's a bit [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] of both. He's authoring the book, but he's also writing it at the moment. But, as I thought, when the question is in the present continuous you should answer with the present continuous.

From the time he started writing the book to the time he finishes it, he is writing the book.

Note my corrections above.

Status
Not open for further replies.