Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
Hi,

I want to help my friend with learning English, especially spoken. He knows a little bit of English already. I was thinking that if I could find a good book which could be used as a guide and also help us keep focused and keep track of the progress. Could you please recommend some book for a beginner ESL learner? Thank you.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As in the expression, "the woods are full of them", there are many sources for ESL learners. Use your favorite search engine for "ESL books for beginners", for example.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I want to help my friend with learning English, especially spoken.

NOT A TEACHER

Hello, Jackson:

I just wanted to respectfully suggest that you help your friend understand the verb "be" before moving on to other verbs.

Teach him the present, past, and present of that verb. Make sure that he knows the negative and question forms of "be."

I have noticed that if a learner does not understand how to use "to be" backwards and forward, s/he may make serious mistakes when using other verbs, especially when it comes to making questions or negative statements.

Your friend will be very grateful to you if you make sure that he truly knows the difference between "be" and other verbs.

Best wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

I want to help my friend learn English. I am thinking it might be a good idea to get a good book for learners.

Are you that person?

jackson6612

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
Say:

I want to help my friend learn English. I am thinking it might be a good idea to get a good book for learners.

Are you that person?

Which person?

Well, my English has its flaws but I'm glad that I'm always working to improve it and can most of the times get my point across. Thank you! :)

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Not a teacher
I want to help my friend with learning English, especially spoken.
If you want to help him with spoken English, talk to him. Don't look for a book; find a subject you two can talk about.

Even simple...
A:"Is it red?" *points at grass*
B: "No, it isn't."
...will make you two talk.

Ask him what he likes, in English, and talk about it. You can both study and practice this way.

Good luck!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Encourage your friend to join this forum.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Not sure why someone would do that. [pretend to be asking for a "friend"]
Not a teacher
------

It's an old and cliche way of asking for/about something that is generally considered awkward or wrong.

Say, you've cheated on your partner, and you aren't sure if you should tell them. You can ask your friend for their opinion, but this would mean admitting that you have cheated on your significant other. This may be frowned upon or worse, your friend may tell someone.

You can avoid all of this by pretending that it's your "friend" who has cheated on their partner. "Your friend" asked you whether to tell their partner, but because you didn't know what to say, and you still don't, you're now asking what "your friend" should do.

It's a way of avoiding... responsibility and reprecussions, I guess.

It's even got its own meme.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.