Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
Hello all !

I'm here to just ask where can I "train" tenses from my last post (I have a small problem with Present Perfect and Past Simple).

I'm just asking where can I train it, not for explanation. I want to get used to it, and from movies it's hard to get it. In books I can but it's hard to imagine it (when there are no time relevance).

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
This website has a great number of exercises dedicated to checking your grammar, including using tenses.

If you're overwhelmed by how many exercises there are, hit CTRL+F and type in the specific topic you want to "train".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wouldn't use "train" for what you want to do. I'd say that you want to "study and practise" the use of tenses. Also, saying that you want to "train tenses" sounds as if you want to teach tenses to do something.

Xenon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
Can tell me where is here something like "present perfect vs past simple" (of course when there are no time relevance)

emsr2d2 thanks for correcting me. I was thinking which word to use and here it is :D

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm just asking where can I train it, not for explanation. I want to get used to it, and from movies it's hard to get it. In books I can but it's hard to imagine it (when there are no time relevance).

NOT A TEACHER

Hello, Xenon:

1. I have just read your closed thread in "Ask a Teacher." As a former American president used to say, "I feel your pain." The choice of tense can also be difficult for ordinary non-teacher native speakers like me.

2. Son: I have something to confess. Last week, I cut classes three times. Instead of going to school, my buddies and I went to the movies.

Mother (crying): I cannot believe it. Your father and I did / have done our best to teach you to do the right thing. "Where did we go wrong? / Where have we gone wrong?"

I think that I know the correct answer, but I shan't/won't give it, lest I be incorrect.

Xenon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
Unless you are thinking of distancing in reality or directness, time is always relevant when we think of tenses. Can you try to explain exactly what you mean by 'no time relevance'?

You know without (last week, since, for etc.) Sentences like : (Mark : went out of the elevator and says - "Why he let this happen." And in front of him people were running chaotically around the room.)

Something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.