Native Language
Uzbek
Home Country
Uzbekistan
Current Location
Uzbekistan
What is the function of "ing" as a type of morpheme in the following sentence:
"My mother is always car*ing* and support*ing* "

Here, -ing forms adjectives from verbs. So, I'm saying it as derivational morpheme. But my teacher is saying it as inflexional. Which one is right?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I suppose you could analyse them in both ways, but I think it makes more sense to think of caring and supporting as adjectives, which makes the -ing morphemes derivational.

Did you ask your teacher why he/she thinks otherwise? He/she must have a good reason.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
In that sentence, "supporting" cannot be a verb, since "support" is a transitive verb. Therefore, those "-ings" are derivational.

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
What is the function of "ing" as a type of morpheme in the following sentence:
"My mother is always car*ing* and support*ing* "

Here, -ing forms adjectives from verbs. So, I'm saying it as derivational morpheme. But my teacher is saying it as inflexional. Which one is right?

The gerund-participial verb form "supporting" is formed by adding the inflectional suffix ing.

But the adjective "supporting" is formed by conversion. This involves changing a word's syntactic category without any concomitant change of form.

Other examples include "amusing", "entertaining, "worrying".

The same applies with past participle to adjective conversion, for example "amused", "bored", "worried" and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.