Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
UK
Please correct any errors in this short piece.

Every time my sister and I go on a trip to a natural place, we like to add a bit of extra adventure and thrill. There are always set paths you're supposed to follow, but we generally stray from these and pick our own routes. We know it's perilous, but we've certainly had some exhilarating experiences. Last time we went to Lake District, we winded up at the top of a hill without knowing where to go. Fortunately, we spotted a highway down at the bottom, and the only way to reach it was by descending a steep road full of tall plants and rocks. We tripped and slipped a couple of times but we made at it the end. It was scary, not going to deny that, but once we got to the highway we felt like seasoned hikers.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What do you mean by a natural place? A nature spot/place of natural beauty?

NamelessKing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
UK
What do you mean by a natural place? A nature spot/place of natural beauty?
Yes, I didnt know what's it called. Does "countryside" work too?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, I didnt know what's it called. Does "countryside" work too?

Only if it's actually in the countryside. Beaches, mountains, hills, glaciers, cliffs and many other places are "places of natural beauty".

NamelessKing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
UK
Thank you for your suggestions. What about the rest of the paragraph? Is it correctly written?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please correct any errors in this short piece.

Every time my sister and I go on a trip to [STRIKE]a natural[/STRIKE] a place of natural beauty, we like to add a bit of extra adventure and thrill. There are always set paths you're supposed to follow, but we generally stray from these and pick our own routes. We know it's perilous, but we've certainly had some exhilarating experiences. Last time we went to the Lake District, we [STRIKE]winded[/STRIKE] wound up at the top of a hill [STRIKE]without knowing[/STRIKE] but didn't know where to go from there. Fortunately, we spotted a [STRIKE]highway[/STRIKE] main road [STRIKE]down[/STRIKE] at the bottom [of the hill], and the only way to reach it was by descending a steep [STRIKE]road[/STRIKE] path full of tall plants and rocks. We tripped and slipped a couple of times but we made [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] it in the end. It was scary, I'm not going to deny that, but once we got to the [STRIKE]highway[/STRIKE] main road we felt like seasoned hikers.

See above.

The Lake District is in the UK where, with the exception of in "The Highways Agency", we don't really use the word "highway".

Status
Not open for further replies.