Is it right to say 'astronaut' this way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Always try Forvo first. Choose English from the list of languages and then search for the relevant word. Here are the recorded examples of "astronaut".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The woman at the end of that video is pronouncing the Bosnian word, not the English one!

ensan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
The woman at the end of that video is pronouncing the Bosnian word, not the English one!
What about the people in the very beginning of the video who represent the (Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary - 3rd Edition)?They pronounce it very differently.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What about the people in the very beginning of the video who represent the (Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary - 3rd Edition)?They pronounce it very differently.

The first is a typical British pronunciation and the second is a typical American one.

ensan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
So the third and fourth persons are right or not?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you talking about the pronunciations on Forvo? If so, they're all correct. They're all by native English speakers.

ensan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I am talking about the Bosnian voices ,as in my youtube video.They are different from the British and American ones.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I am talking about the Bosnian voices ,as in my youtube video.They are different from the British and American ones.

I don't follow.

There is only one example of the Bosnian word, which you played two times, and which is pronounced correctly in Bosnian. You must understand that this is not the English word astronaut. It just looks the same.

The other voice is you. The reason you are pronouncing it incorrectly is that you are trying to copy the Bosnian pronunciation of the Bosnian word.

Do you understand what I'm saying about the difference between English and Bosnian?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

In that case, shouldn't you be asking a Bosnian language forum about the pronunciation?

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The last two pronunciations in the video are taken from the Forvo page. However, as others have mentioned, they're from the Bosnian section. If you scroll down the page, you'll find pronunciation of the word in several different languages after the English samples.

Most, if not all of them pronounce it with the final syllable stressed, compared to English which stresses the first syllable. Often with loan words, the borrowing language still uses its own phonetic rules to pronounce the word versus keeping the pronunciation of the lending language.

The British English pronunciation seems to be clipped a bit short at the beginning. Not sure if that's due to the accent, or if the recording just starts after he'd started speaking. I can barely hear that initial vowel, so I kind of suspect the recording started late.

Status
Not open for further replies.