• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Flash cards to activate vocabulary

I'd like to try flash cards. My level seems to be advanced. But I find my active vocabulary very weak.
    That is why I'd like to use cards to convert words from pasive vocabulary to the active one.

This means mainly memorizing:
    1. Translation.
    2. Ethimology.
    3. Phonetics.
    4. Language constructions (example: abandon something to somebody/something) and pharses They had to abandon their lands to the invading forces.
    5. Idioms.

Let the goal to be to activate Oxford 3000. Well, it is not that high a level. Maybe 3000 words is for itermediate level or something. So, this is not scary. I mean 3000 words.

But as far as I remember the principles of using flash cards, only one piece of information shold be on a card.
    Well, combining translation, ethimology and phonetics seems ok for me. At least I don't mind that.

But it is reasonable to dedicate a whole card to each phrase. Reasonable because otherwise there will be a lot of hints for the phrase. And we don't want any hints. We want to be honest with onselves.

So, each phrase has a separate card. But we already have 3-4 phrases wor a word, plus a couple of idioms. We'll get at least 15 thousand flash cards.
    Is this reasonable? Do you yourself practice such amount of cards?

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Flash cards to activate vocabulary

Quote Originally Posted by Grablevskij View Post
    I'd like to try flash cards. My level seems to be advanced. (What leads you to say this?) But However, I find think my active vocabulary is very weak.
    That is why I'd like to use cards to convert words from passive vocabulary to the active. one.

This means mainly memorizing:

1. Translation.
    2. Ethimology Etymology.
    3. Phonetics.
    4. Language constructions (example: abandon something to somebody/something) and pharses phrases. For example, "They had to abandon their lands to the invading forces."
    5. Idioms.

Let the My goal is to be to activate learn the Oxford 3000, Well, it is not although I don't think that's that high a level. Maybe 3000 words is for intermediate level or something. So, this for me, 3000 words is not scary. I mean 3000 words.

But, as far as I remember know, the principles of using flash cards, only one piece of information should be on a each card.
    Well, Combining the translation, ethimology etymology and phonetics seems ok OK for to me. At least, I don't wouldn't mind that.

But It is reasonable to dedicate a whole card to each phrase - reasonable because otherwise there will be a lot of hints for the phrase. And We don't want any hints. We want to be honest with onselves ourselves. (Where did "we" suddenly come from? You were talking about yourself only until this point.)

So (no comma here) each phrase has a separate card. But we already have 3-4 phrases for a word, plus a couple of idioms. We'll get at least 15 thousand 15,000 flash cards.
    Is this reasonable? Do you yourself practice with such amount of so many cards?
    Please note my multiple corrections above.

In all honesty, I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. Are you going to create and manufacture these 15,000 flashcards? Do you feel they should exist but they don't? Who are you referring to in the second half of the piece when you use "we"?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Please note my multiple corrections above.

In all honesty, I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. Are you going to create and manufacture these 15,000 flashcards? Do you feel they should exist but they don't? Who are you referring to in the second half of the piece when you use "we"?
    I'm not a manufacturer.
    My vocabulary just needs activation.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

So where are these 15,000 flashcards that contain the information you think should appear on them?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

They don't exist. What is wrong about that? Or you think that copy and paste 15 thousand phrases and translate them once is a too heave a job? When memorizing words I myself write everything by hand dozens of times.

Everybody makes their own flash cards. At lease it is more useful.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

OK, perhaps "manufacture" was misleading in my original question. Am I correct in thinking, though, that you plan to create these flashcards yourself? Once you have done so, do you plan to be the only person who uses them?
    I'm just struggling to understand what your purpose is.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 07-Oct-2019 at 15:30.

Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Flash cards are individual as shoes. At least I don't care who will use my shoes when I don't need them.
    They contain comments, mnemonics, something which is important for me only etc. Why anybody should even try to use them?

Or do you think it is better to take a ready made deck. I tried them and was not happy. Anyway, it is absolutely another thing.

I am interested in individual flash cards. And I just can't catch your idea. It is a simple question. Have anybody here tried to make so many flash cards for themselves.

How many flash cards do people usually make? 100? What is the use of having 100 flash cards if it is not even a drop in the ocean?

8. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

The storage and handling of 1,500 flashcards would make their value doubtful. The idea of trying to store, handle and learn from 15,000 is mind-boggling.
    Typoman - writer of rongs

9. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Or do you think it is better to take a ready made deck.
    Not at your level.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

They don't exist. What is wrong about with that? Or do you think that copying and pasting 15 thousand 15,000 phrases and translating them once is a too heave too difficult a job? When memorizing words, I myself write everything by hand dozens of times.

Everybody makes their own flash cards. Do they? At least it is more useful. The underlined part doesn't make sense.
    Flash cards are as individual as shoes. At least I don't care who will use my shoes when I don't need them. (The underlined part doesn't make sense.)

They contain comments, mnemonics, something things which that is are important only for to me. only etc. Why would anybody should else even try to use them?

Or do you think it is better to take use a ready made deck? I have tried them some and was not happy. Anyway, it that is absolutely another thing.

I am interested in individual flash cards (no full stop here) and I just can't catch understand your idea. It is a simple question. Have Has anybody here tried to make so many flash cards for themselves?

How many flash cards do people usually make? 100? What is the use of having 100 flash cards if it is not even a drop in the ocean?
    Please note my multiple corrections to your last two posts. You started this thread by saying that you believe your English is at an advanced level. Based on these errors, I would have to disagree. Perhaps instead of spending time making 15,000 flashcards for yourself, maybe you should spend time studying our comments and corrections and getting back to a few of the basics.

If you really do just want a simple answer to the question "Has anybody here tried to make so many flash cards for themelves?", my answer is "I haven't". I have never even made one flash card.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last