• Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

What is 'friendship'?

Have I made any mistakes?

What is 'friendship'?

You wake up, open your eyes, and they're telling you it's too early. The same is your body and your mind... but you have stuff to do. You have to go to work, to school, or whatever was the reason behind you setting the alarm clock for such an ungodly hour. You can taste a gross mixture sour, salty and bitter in your mouth. It's time to brush your teeth.

Throughout the years spent on that morning rite you've forgotten to see a person when looking into the mirror. We get used to things that remain unchanged each time we see them. That's why we buy new clothers and furniture, paint walls, and why when we walk into a perfume shop, we can sense the wide variety of beautiful scents, but after a few minutes, we stop noticing them. We're unable to tell a difference because stability is boring.

We have a special kind of relationship we built with other people who we call 'friends'. When we meet someone new, we want the person to see us at our best, try to make a good first impression, but pretending to be a person we're not is difficult. We eventually give up and start behaving normally. That's what we call 'friendship' - feeling natural, without the need to act or to pretend.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: What is 'friendship'?

Quote Originally Posted by Glizdka View Post
    Have I made any mistakes?

What is 'friendship'?

You wake up and open your eyes, and they're telling you it's too early. The same is So are your body and your mind ... but you have stuff to do. You have to go to work, to school, or whatever was the reason behind you setting caused you to set the alarm clock for such an ungodly hour. You can taste a gross mixture sour, salty salt and bitter in your mouth - a gross mixture. It's time to brush your teeth.

Throughout the years spent on that morning rite, you've forgotten to see a person when looking into in the mirror. We get used to things that remain unchanged each time we see them. That's why we buy new clothers clothes and furniture, paint walls, and why, when we walk into a perfume shop, we can sense the wide variety of beautiful scents (no comma here) but, after a few minutes, we stop noticing them. We're unable to tell find a difference because stability is boring.

We have build a special kind of relationship we built with other people who we call 'friends'. When we meet someone new, we want the person to see us at our best; we try to make a good first impression, but pretending to be a person we're not is difficult. We eventually give up and start behaving normally. That's what we call 'friendship' - feeling natural, without the need to act or to pretend.
    Note my corrections above.

I have no idea what the first two paragraphs have to do with friendship. I don't disagree with the contents of those two paragraphs but I don't think they lead naturally into paragraph 3.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. Senior Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

We get bored with pretending to be someone else around someone we spend a lot of time with the same way we get bored with daily routine.

I agree. I should've made the paragraphs lead into paragraph 3 more naturally.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I would say:

We get tired of pretending to be somebody we're not.
    Not a professional teacher

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

You wake up, open your eyes, and they're telling you it's too early to get up.

Later in the same paragraph you refer to the alarm clock. Didn't the alarm clock go off before the eyes opened?

6. Senior Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    You wake up, open your eyes, and they're telling you it's too early to get up.

Later in the same paragraph you refer to the alarm clock. Didn't the alarm clock go off before the eyes opened?
    It did. Does it have a bearing on my sentence?

Does getting up mean gaining the state of consciousness or physically moving your body off the bed?

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

"Waking up" is becoming conscious of your surroundings and opening your eyes. "Getting up" is physically removing yourself from the bed.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Glizdka View Post
    It did. Does it have a bearing on my sentence?

Does getting up mean gaining the state of consciousness or physically moving your body off the bed?
    It seems to me that you heard the alarm go off then turned it off. By then your eyes were probably already open. Perhaps you were wishing you could go back to sleep.

Then there's this version:

I heard the alarm clock go off, threw the alarm clock across the room and went back to sleep.