• Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

IMPROVING VOCABLARY

Hi all
    I am new to our community. Hope to be shared your tips in learning English.
    I have just learn EL for 3 month and I am having trouble in reading skill và learning new words. I am having intention of reading 1-2 article per night to know more new words.
    U think that is a good way to learn EL or not :(
    Help me. My brain is now a mess...
    Ths in advance

2. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: IMPROVING VOCABLARY

Learn a few words at a time. Don't try to learn a lot- you'll forget them quickly. Recycle and repeat the words frequently until they are fixed in your long-term memory. Learn them in real sentences and contexts too to learn how and when they are used. Be patient. Also, remember that most native speakers don't use a very large vocabulary- they recognise a lot of words, but use fewer.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Learn a few words at a time. Don't try to learn a lot- you'll forget them quickly. Recycle and repeat the words frequently until they are fixed in your long-term memory. Learn them in real sentences and contexts too to learn how and when they are used. Be patient. Also, remember that most native speakers don't use a very large vocabulary- they recognise a lot of words, but use fewer.
    Thank you very muchhh
    I will try ^^

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by LoveEL View Post
    Hi all.

I am new to our this community. Hope to be shared your tips in learning English. I look forward to you sharing your tips to help me learn English.

I have just been learning EL English for only 3 months and I am having trouble in with my reading skills and learning new words.

I am having intention of reading plan to read 1-2 article per night to know learn more new words.
    U Do you think that is a good way to learn EL English? or not :(

Please help me. My brain is now a mess!
    Ths Thanks in advance
    Thank you very muchhh much.
    I will try.

^^ (Don't do this.)
    Welcome to the forum.

Please note my multiple corrections to your posts above, in red. Remember the following:

- EL is not an acceptable replacement for the word "English".
    - "U" is not a word. The word is "you".
    - "Ths" is not a word. The word is "Thanks".
    - Start every sentence with a capital letter.
    - End every sentence with one appropriate punctuation mark.
    - Don't try to make your own emojis or emoticons. If you need one, click on the button and choose one.

In all honesty, I think you should concentrate more on basic grammar and sentence construction than on learning a set number of new words every day. If you decide to go ahead though, how will you know which articles to read? If an article has too many new words, you won't understand the article and you'll spend ages with a dictionary.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

5. VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I have just learn EL for 3 month and I am having trouble in reading skill và learning new words.
    NOT A TEACHER

Hello, LoveEL:

My teachers taught me that the best way to grow my vocabulary was to read, read, read. Pick something that interests you and read everything that you can about it. (P.S. Some people do not like to use the verb "grow" that way, but it is very popular in American English. For example: "We need more customers. What can we do to grow our business?")

So if you read widely, your vocabulary will perforce become bigger. (Please check your bilingual dictionary for the meaning of "perforce.")

Best wishes
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 22-Oct-2019 at 15:13. Reason: Removed unnecessary line breaks

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

I would advise you to get a good learner dictionary. These are useful in several ways. For example, they tell you (more or less) how frequent each word is, so you know which are the very common words, and which words are not very common (like perforce). You can use this information to help you decide which words to focus on.

7. Senior Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Not a teacher

Hello LoveEL,

This forum is a great place to learn new words! I read it every evening. Some members use really colorful language, and are great at explaining words.

Instead of choosing an arbitrary number of articles I read, I base the time I spend studying on the number of new words I find. I recommend this approach.

Words that are rarely used are rarely useful. Don't focus on them. You can create a set of rules for additional fun. Say, choose an arbitrary number of times a word must appear (e.g. 4), and then try to form your own sentence with this word.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Glizdka; 22-Oct-2019 at 21:11.