Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Have I made any mistakes? This text is just an exercise, and I wrote it spontaneously.

As Peter sat reading a book, he wondered what use he had from all that knowledge when he felt miserable. His life was slipping away from him like grains of sand between fingers, and he felt powerless to change his destiny. He had squandered his youth in pursuing a dream of becoming a great painter, and when he finally admitted to himself that he was mediocre, years had passed, and he sat in front of an empty wall, like a prisoner who didn't know if he would ever be released. He wished he could earn his own money, instead of living on welfare, but thinking of any kind of job filled him with anxiety. Just imagining stacking shelves in a supermarket or cleaning offices made his body shake. He knew that his colleagues would laugh at him. They would point at him as Peter was sweeping the floor with a broom and say, "Look at the painter! He is more skilful with a broom than with a brush!" They would roar with laughter, and he would turn purple with shame and want to sink through the floor with humiliation.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Have I made any mistakes? This text is just an exercise, and I wrote it spontaneously.

As Peter sat reading a book, he wondered what use he had from all that knowledge when he felt miserable. His life was slipping away from him like grains of sand between his fingers, and he felt powerless to change his destiny. He had squandered his youth in pursuing a dream of becoming a great painter, and when he finally admitted to himself that he was mediocre, years had passed, and he sat in front of an empty wall, like a prisoner who didn't know if he would ever be released. He wished he could earn his own money, instead of living on welfare, but thinking of any kind of job filled him with anxiety. Just imagining stacking shelves in a supermarket or cleaning offices made him tremble. He knew that his colleagues would laugh at him. They would point at him as Peter was sweeping the floor with a broom and say, "Look at the painter! He is more skilful with a broom than with a brush!" They would roar with laughter, and he would turn purple with shame and want to sink through the floor with humiliation.

Peter is afraid. He's paralyzed with fear.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about what use all that knowledge was?

Status
Not open for further replies.