• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Definite article plus adjective

Hello,

My question is: what is the use of the definite article before an adjective? I know the adjective then accepts the form of a noun referring to all the persons of that type. But doesn’t it laso include in that number the things and objects of that type that are non- human? Like:
    They wanted to bring back tradition, to bring back the righteous into fashion.
    Does it make sense, or should it be changed with “bring back righteousness into fashion”.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Definite article plus adjective

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    Hello.

My question is: What is the are the rules for use using of the definite article before an adjective? I know the adjective then accepts the form of a noun referring to all the persons of that type, but doesn't it laso also include in that number the things and objects of that type that are non-human? Like: For example:

They wanted to bring back tradition, to bring back the righteous into fashion.

Does it make sense, or should it "the righteous" be changed with to "bring back righteousness into fashion"?
    Welcome to the forum.

Please note my corrections above. I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by "doesn't it also include in that number the things and objects of that type that are non-human". Can you explain it in a different way?

Where did you find the sentence you quoted? Please give us the source and author.

"the righteous" means "all righteous people". "Righteousness" is the uncountable noun associated with the adjective.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Definite article plus adjective

No, the use is not exclusive to humans. Although in a large majority of cases it does work to refer to people, it can also refer to countable things. Note, however, that there must not always be a sense of countability (e.g. the uncanny) but exceptions are very rare, I'd say.

So the righteous can also mean 'righteous things', in the appropriate context, as well as 'righteous people'.

The uncountable noun righteousness is exactly that—uncountable. That is, it cannot refer to countable people or things, only to an uncountable abstract concept.

It's hard to know exactly what your example sentence is supposed to mean, but I'm guessing you're referring to the concept of righteousness, so righteousness is better.