Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

I don't believe you. I can't believe you. I don't care.

In the show Dragon Ball Z Abridged, there is a scene that I'd like to ask about; I'm not sure if I understand the use of language in this scene correctly.

Krillin is the laughing stock of the show. He screws up every single task no matter how trivial it seems to be, and he's bullied by virtually everyone, including his friends. The creators of the show even included a "Krillin owned counter".

In this scene, Krillin managed to talk himself out of getting beaten up to death by the two main antagonists, 17 and 18 (yes, these are their names). 18 thinks that Krillin is cute because of how hopless he is, and she kisses him on the cheeck - the biggest accomplishment for him. He wants to tell his friends, Tien, Trunks, and Piccolo, about it.

Tien is a grumpy character based around making sarcastic comments and witty comebacks. His main purpose in the show is to make remarks, and insult other characters.
    Trunks is a time traveler from the future who came to Krillin's timeline with a vengence to save the world from 17 and 18. Understandably, Trunks hates 18, who has just kissed Krillin.
    Piccolo is close to being omniscient, and has seen way too many things to be bothered by pretty much anything. He's indifferent to anything that happens, even his own death.

Krillin: "Man, they are not gonna believe this!"
    Cut to the reactions of Krillin's friends after he tells them.
    Tien: "I don't believe you."
    Trunks: "I can't believe you."
    Piccolo: "I don't care."
    This dialogue is brilliant because, I think, it sums up the characters pretty well in very few words. However, I'm not sure if I understand the use of language in each of these sentences correctly.

Tien's "I don't believe you." → "I don't think that what you're saying is true. Why would anyone ever kiss you, a loser?"
    Trunks's "I can't believe you." → "What you're saying may or may not be true, but my concern is something else. Why would 18, our enemy, kiss you, and why would you allow her to do that? It's beyond my comprehension."
    Piccolo's "I don't care." → "I already know everything. Your silly accomplishment doesn't impress me."

2. Moderator
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: I don't believe you. I can't believe you. I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Glizdka View Post
    Tien's "I don't believe you." → "I don't think that what you're saying is true. Why would anyone ever kiss you, a loser?"
    Trunks's "I can't believe you." → "What you're saying may or may not be true, but my concern is something else. Why would 18, our enemy, kiss you, and why would you allow her to do that? It's beyond my comprehension."
    Piccolo's "I don't care." → "I already know everything. Your silly accomplishment doesn't impress me."
    You're reading more into the dialog than its words say. "I can't believe you" means I am unable to believe you. "I don't care" means It doesn't matter to me.
    I am not a teacher.

Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Chile
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: I don't believe you. I can't believe you. I don't care.

The real question is how on earth did krilin manage to have a child with 18.
    To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top.