Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi,

1- Only Nick noticed her standing in the door.
2- Only a few people came to watch the concert.

I'd like to ask if I can use 'just' instead of 'only' at the beginning of the sentence.

1- Just Nick noticed her standing in the door.
2- Just a few people came to watch the concert.

Do they sound weird or wrong?

Thanks.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The second number one doesn't work. Number two is fine. I can't think of a way to explain why. :-(

ademoglu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
The second number one doesn't work. Number two is fine. I can't think of a way to explain why. :-(

That is what I think too. When I read the second two aloud, it does not sound weird to me. I don't know why but it is maybe because of 'a few'.

Thanks for the answer.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's not that just a few people works because of a few, but rather that we don't tend to use just + [name] in a sentence.

It's okay to use that combination when it stands alone, but in a sentence it sounds a bit odd.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not that just a few people works because of a few, but rather that we don't tend to use just + [name] in a sentence.

It's okay to use that combination when it stands alone, but in a sentence it sounds a bit odd.

I don't think that explanation works: Nobody else was there — just Tim.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't think that explanation works: Nobody else was there — just Tim.

I didn't explain what I meant very well at all. I was actually considering exactly this example.

When I said "we don't tend to use it in a sentence", I really meant that we don't tend to use it in clause structure, i.e. as a subject or complement. The phrase just Tim in the example above is not grammatically part of the sentence, but instead works as a grammatically isolated noun phrase tagged to the sentence Nobody else was there. I don't know the correct terminology (or have a clear enough idea) to explain it any better, but I hope people understand what I mean.

I think that's right, anyway, but I'll be delighted to hear a better explanation because this is an interesting question.

Status
Not open for further replies.