Can someone help me with my letter to the university?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoxXii

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
China
Hello! Can someone help me correct my letter to the university?
Letter:
"I am writing this letter to request more information about the Chinese program at [name of the university] which starts in September 2020. I am highly interested in this program and I am anxious to apply for it at your university.
First, I would appreciate if you could indicate more information about regulations of admission to the [name of the university] coveted Chinese program. I am curious about an entrance examination availability.
Second, I would be grateful if you could tell me some information about studying duration and prices for the Chinese program. I have read on your website that tuition is 3000/semester. I would like to know if I understood it correctly.
Finally, would you be so kind and tell me more information about visa and learning certificate. How could I get a visa and learning certificate must be translated into English or it is not necessary?
Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you.Sincerely,
[name]"

Thank you!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Your member profile shows that you are currently in China. Why do you need to go to a university in an English-speaking country to learn Chinese? It strikes me that you are currently in the ideal place to learn the language.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello! Can someone help me correct my letter to the university?
Letter:
[STRIKE]"I am writing this letter[/STRIKE] This is to request more information about the Chinese (type? Language?) program at [name of the university] [STRIKE]which[/STRIKE] that starts in September 2020. I am highly interested in this program and I am anxious to apply for it at your university.
[STRIKE]First[/STRIKE] Specifically, I would [STRIKE]appreciate if you could indicate[/STRIKE] like more information about [STRIKE]regulations[/STRIKE][STRIKE] of[/STRIKE] requirements for admission [STRIKE]to the [name of the university] coveted Chinese program[/STRIKE][STRIKE]. I am curious about an [/STRIKE] and entrance examination availability.
Second, I would be grateful if you could [STRIKE]tell [/STRIKE] [STRIKE]me some[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]provide details[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]information[/STRIKE] about [STRIKE]studying duration and prices for[/STRIKE] length of study and costs for the [STRIKE]Chinese[/STRIKE] program. I have read on your website that tuition is 3000/semester. I would like to know if I have understood it correctly.
Finally, would you be so kind [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]tell me more[/STRIKE] provide information about the visa and learning certificate[STRIKE]. How could I get a visa and learning certificate [/STRIKE] and whether if it must be translated into English. [STRIKE]or it is not necessary?[/STRIKE]
Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,
[name]"

Thank you!!!

Suggestions.

tree123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"[FONT=&quot]I am writing this letter[/FONT][FONT=&quot] This is to request more information about the Chinese (type? Language?) program at [name of the university] which that starts in September 2020. I am highly interested in this program and I am anxious to apply for it at your university.[/FONT]

I learnt when the logic subject is an object, I should use 'which' or 'that' to refer to that; and when the object is an person, I should use 'who' or 'that' to refer to it.

Would you please explain why 'which' is wrong in this context?

tree123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Your member profile shows that you are currently in China. Why do you need to go to a university in an English-speaking country to learn Chinese? It strikes me that you are currently in the ideal place to learn the language.

My understanding is the OP is originally from Poland, but doesn't speak or write fluently Chinese, so the OP has to write in English requesting for the information because very few people in China understand Polish except for some people who major in Polish, or who are fans in Polish culture, or other reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.