Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
UK
Please correct my mistakes.

The other day I was riding my bike across the streets of Amsterdam and shooting a vblog at the same time. I was fumbling with my GoPro trying to get the best angle and lost control of my bike. I hit the brake too hard and I flew off landing on the sidewalk. My knee cut open and started bleeding; the pain was unbearable. Luckily, a friend of mine who was accompanying me helped me out and got me a bag of ice. I put it on my knee and it really assuaged the pain. Ever since that day I take a tripod with me any time I want to film a video while riding.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please correct my mistakes.

The other day I was riding my bike [STRIKE]across the streets of[/STRIKE] around Amsterdam, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] shooting a vblog. [STRIKE]at the same time.[/STRIKE] I was fumbling with my GoPro, trying to get the best angle, and lost control of my bike. I hit the brakes too hard and [STRIKE]I[/STRIKE] (no "I" required) flew off [my bike], landing on the sidewalk. My knee was cut open and [STRIKE]started[/STRIKE] bleeding; the pain was unbearable. Luckily, a friend [STRIKE]of mine[/STRIKE] who was accompanying me helped [STRIKE]me out and got me[/STRIKE] by getting a bag of ice. I put it on my knee and it really assuaged the pain. Ever since that day, I [STRIKE]take[/STRIKE] have taken a tripod with me [STRIKE]any time[/STRIKE] whenever I want to film a video while riding.

See above.

Note that "assuage" is not a commonly used word in BrE. I know what it means but it'll send some people to their dictionary. Stick with "helped" or "lessened".

NamelessKing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
UK
I believed "any time" and "whenever" were pretty much interchangeable.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't disagree that they are very similar in meaning. When I changed it, I was basing it on the fact that I tend to use "any time" when referring to the future but "whenever" to refer to habitual actions or the past.

Any time you need to call me, feel free. (Future)
Whenever I play tennis, I feel energised for hours afterwards. (Habitual)
When I was younger, whenever I wanted a drink, I had a Whisky Mac. (Past)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There are differences of use between any time, every time, and whenever.

Status
Not open for further replies.