English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: You are my Mojo - did I make an embarrassing mistake?

It's not common, but I wouldn't consider it archaic or obsolete, either. It's just not a term one has occasion to use much, but I do hear it from time to time. Most often in song, but occasionally in conversations.

While it did originate as black American slang, I think it has jumped over into mainstream usage as it picked up additional meanings to the magical power/charm idea. At some point, it also picked up the idea of sexual appeal or sexual prowess.

Possibly that ability to adapt new meanings and variations in usage is what keeps its, *ahem*, mojo going.
    Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

2. Moderator
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Skrej View Post
    Possibly that ability to adapt new meanings and variations in usage is what keeps its, *ahem*, mojo going.
    Mojo featured prominently in the second Austin Powers film. The lead character had lost his mojo and spent most of the film trying to get it back.

I suspect the word became a lot more common soon after the release of that film.
    I am not a teacher.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by Skrej View Post
    While it did originate as black American slang, I think it has jumped over into mainstream usage as it picked up additional meanings to the magical power/charm idea. At some point, it also picked up the idea of sexual appeal or sexual prowess.
    I thought it was an African word of some origin, brought to America with the African slaves, who used it to mean something like libido, sexual potency.

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    Mojo featured prominently in the second Austin Powers film. The lead character had lost his mojo and spent most of the film trying to get it back.

I suspect the word became a lot more common soon after the release of that film.
    Yes, that's the first thing I think of now when I hear the word. Austin Powers was using the word in its sex-related sense.

I've never noticed it used in the 'lucky charm' sense.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2