• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: At least three over?

Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    If you can post a link to the relevant part of the film, we can tell for sure what is going on.
    I think this pdf might suffice, I excerpted the relevant part below FYI: https://www.raindance.org/scripts/truth.pdf
    Oh, and btw, it's "sixteen minutes" in the sentence "Sixteen minutes, at least three over.", which I found in another version is "sixty".

Anyway, after reading it several times, I think you guys are correct, and if I paraphrase the whole sentence, it'd be "It's 60 minutes, and that is at least 3 minutes longer than this programs allows". Just as GoesStation explained.

INT. 60 MINUTES -- CONFERENCE ROOM -- DAY
    September 8th - Day Of Air. Dark. The whole team sits,
    screening a ROUGH CUT of their piece on a drop down screen -
    Mary, Smith, Colonel Charles, Lucy, Josh, and Mary Murphy.
    There are lawyers and executives watching as well.
    ON THE SCREEN - Dan speaking with Barnes:

BEN BARNES
    I don't think I had any right to have the power that I had, to choose who was going to go to Vietnam and who was not going to go to Vietnam. That's power. In some instances, when I looked at those names, I was maybe determining life or death. And that's not a power that I want
    to have.

DAN
    Too strong or not to say that you are ashamed of it now?

BEN BARNES
    Oh, I think that would be somewhat of an appropriate thing. I'm very, very sorry.

Cut to the 60 MINUTES STOPWATCH - Tick, tick, tick, tick...
    The lights come up. The first person to speak is Betsy West -
    Senior Vice President, Prime Time.
    BETSY
    What's it running?
    MARY
    Sixteen minutes, at least three over.
    BETSY
    Some of the document stuff is slow, you can definitely trim there.
    JOSH
    How about flipping it - open with Barnes and then do the documents. It would keep it chronological.

Betsy's nodding, she likes the idea.
    BETSY
    You've got three hours.

Pan to the wall where the clock reads 4:10...

2. Newbie
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    The question word What shows the asker is thinking about the length of the film rather than the duration.
    Think about the difference between these two questions:

What's the length of the film?
    How long is the film?
    To me, I think the above two sentences mean the same thing, but I would normally use the second rather than the first, because it's shorter.
    Could you please give me some scenarios in which these two are used differently, that people have to be so accurate in order to differentiate the subtle meanings? Thanks!

Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

If you are getting stuff ready for broadcast, there are two intertwined questions. First, how long does the material run in its current state, and second, what time slot do you have to fit it into. You must also consider whether you need to allow time for commercials, PSAs etc.

So "What's it running?" means "What is the running time of the material in its present form?" "Three minutes over" means it is longer than the available slot and needs to be shortened by three minutes.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by yaoxm88 View Post
    To me, I think the above two sentences mean the same thing, but I would normally use the second rather than the first, because it's shorter.
    Could you please give me some scenarios in which these two are used differently, that people have to be so accurate in order to differentiate the subtle meanings? Thanks!
    Yes, they effectively mean the same thing because it's very likely they would both lead to the same answer. But they show that the speaker is thinking about different concepts. In the first, it's length (in this case the running time) and in the second it's duration. The first is more precise because the asker is really interested in an exact number. We use the question word what for this.

Look at these possible answers to the question How long is it?

Long enough.
    Too long.
    Too short.
    Very long.
    Longer than before.

Although they are all direct answer to the question, they would all be unsatisfactory for someone who needs a precise number. They would not be possible as answers to the question What's the running time?

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2