[General] I don't like to work in the cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

A woman I know is working in a language school. She thinks that my spoken English is okay and I'm experienced to teach the students in her school, she asked me if I wanted to work part-time there. I know in most of the language schools here, there are cameras in every classroom. I think this makes sense to them but not me; I feel like being watched. I then refused her and gave her my reason "I don't like to work in the cameras".

I wonder if the sentence is natural.

NamelessKing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
UK
Not a teacher.

"I don't like working with cameras."

"Work in the cameras" implies that you’re working inside of a camera. LOL

Last edited:

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Not a teacher.

"I don't like working with cameras."

"Work in the cameras" implies that you’re working inside of a camera. LOL

"Working with cameras" sounds like "cameras are my friends and I need to cooperate with them in my work". Thank you very much. Let's wait for some native speakers.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There are many ways to express the basic sentiment. All of the following suggestions have different focuses but express roughly the same idea.

I don't like being watched.
I don't like being recorded.
I don't like being watched by cameras.
I don't like there being cameras in the room.
I don't like teaching with cameras in the room.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks. Would "I don't like working surrounded by cameras" be OK?

No. He doesn't like being recorded. And "surrounded by cameras" doesn't quite fit. After all, there's probably only one.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Would "I don't like working surrounded by cameras" be OK?

Well, just about, but only if you were sure you wanted to use the word surrounded, with the effect that that word would bring to your expression. It doesn't really express the same idea that Silverobama is trying to express.

If you definitely did want to use surrounded, I'd suggest a rephrase, though, to I don't like being surrounded by cameras while working.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi.

A woman I know is working in a language school. She thinks that my spoken English is okay and I'm experienced enough to teach the students at her school. She asked me if I wanted to work part-time there. I know that in most of the language schools here, there are cameras in every classroom. I think this makes sense to them but not me; I would feel like I was being watched. I then refused her and gave her my reason "I don't like to work in the cameras".

I wonder if the sentence is natural.

Can you get Messenger there?
:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For me, the only suggestions that are natural are those suggested in post 4. I would say "I don't want to be filmed" or "I don't like the fact that you have cameras in your classrooms".

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
How about: I don't like to work under surveillance?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Or:

I don't like being watched.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about in front of a camera?

J

J&K Tutoring

I wouldn't feel comfortable working on-camera.

The camera(s) would make me nervous.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

That is so common it's almost a stock phrase. When you are being recorded you are in front of the (or a) camera. We also use the phrase on camera as J&K said.

So Silver, the natural way to refuse is "I don't like being on camera" or "... in front of a camera."

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

I did spend quite a while considering in front of when writing post #4. Eventually, I decided against it because I thought it didn't fit a situation where the cameras are fixed in position, mounted high on the walls, probably in the corners of the room. I've made an assumption that the purpose of the cameras is not merely to allow the school director to observe the teaching methods but also for general security reasons.

With the phrases in front of a camera and on camera, I imagine that there is an intention to publish the video, in which case the camera would be in a prominent position, probably pointing directly at the subject, which in this case would be the teacher.

Silverobama—could you clarify what the situation is here? Why are there cameras? What's the set up? I think it makes a difference.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Silverobama—could you clarify what the situation is here? Why are there cameras? What's the set up? I think it makes a difference.

There are cameras in most of the lanugage schools because the supervisors of those schools need to see what happens during classes. I gave demonstration classes in at least three language schools a year ago and found that there were cameras everywhere in the schools. I think they want to know what was going on.

Does this help?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If cameras are common in language schools, wouldn't it be a good idea for you to get over your dislike of them? You could be turning down some great teaching opportunities.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are cameras in most of the lanugage schools because the supervisors of those schools need to see what happens during classes. I gave demonstration classes in at least three language schools a year ago and found that there were cameras everywhere in the schools. I think they want to know what's going on.

Does this help?

They want to keep an eye on things.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I understand that CCTV cameras have become the norm and culture, being installed everywhere in China especially in public places where they are found at close intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.