[General] I don't like to work in the cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There are cameras in most of the lanugage schools because the supervisors of those schools need to see what happens during classes. I gave demonstration classes in at least three language schools a year ago and found that there were cameras everywhere in the schools. I think they want to know what was going on.

Does this help?

Partly, but not fully. How many cameras are there in each classroom and how are they positioned? Does there have to be someone in the room to press 'record'?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Partly, but not fully. How many cameras are there in each classroom and how are they positioned? Does there have to be someone in the room to press 'record'?

There are at least one camera in each classroom. No one's there to press any button to record. It's just a camera which is used to record things. I know some friends of mine use it at home to record what's happening when they're not home.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You mean that if a student can't be bothered to go to class, they can still watch the lesson remotely from home? That sounds very cool, but as a teacher I'm very glad we don't have that in the UK! Is that in schools or only in universities?

Yes, in this case, on camera is fine.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You mean that if a student can't be bothered to go to class, they can still watch the lesson remotely from home?

No. Let's say I have a camera in my flat and you come to visit me. You will show up in the camera. But when you leave, I can't see you anymore. But when I play back the recording, I mean, you came at 5-6 pm, and I play back to 5-6 pm, I can see you.

Is that in schools or only in universities?

Everywhere, jutfrank. Ubiquitous CCTVs here are a double-edged sword. It tells you what's happening in a specific place firsthand but people are being watched.

I like your suggestions a few days ago so much; I already put them down along with your username. This reminds me who helps me and I'll do things for them in return.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No. Let's say I have a camera in my flat and you come to visit me. You will show up in the camera. But when you leave, I can't see you anymore. But when I play back the recording, I mean, you came at 5-6 pm, and I play back to 5-6 pm, I can see you.

I don't follow. So you're saying that when I'm in your flat, the camera can see me, but when I'm not in your flat, it can't. That's rather obvious.

Everywhere, jutfrank. Ubiquitous CCTVs here are a double-edged sword. It tells you what's happening in a specific place firsthand but people are being watched.

I'm confused now. Are we talking about CCTV cameras (i.e. security cameras) or not? Do you mean that the CCTV cameras in China record sound? If they don't, they can't record a lesson, can they?

I like your suggestions a few days ago so much; I already put them down along with your username. This reminds me who helps me and I'll do things for them in return.

You're welcome. I'll email you my bank details, then. :) (That's a joke, by the way.)

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You mean that if a student can't be bothered to go to class, they can still watch the lesson remotely from home?

I misread this question. And it should be "YES'. :-D

They can watch at home or just in the language school, another room maybe.

Are we talking about CCTV cameras (i.e. security cameras) or not? Do you mean that the CCTV cameras in China record sound? If they don't, they can't record a lesson, can they?

Yes, the cameras. Since I answered the first question incorrectly, I need to say what I wanted to say again.

I think the CCTV cameras here do record sound, this means I can hear what you say in the camera, but I think the one with sound-recording function is expensive than the cameras without sounds. I don't know, but I watch short videos online every day. I am sure some cameras can record sound, too.

The cameras used in language schools are mainly for monitoring (watching) what teachers do during a class. It's not for parents or students to study again by using the cameras.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I know some friends of mine use it at home to record what's happening when they're not home.

Okay, I've just read this sentence again. I don't know how I misunderstood it because it seems very clear what you mean.

Sorry for any confusion.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Silver, did you mean to say that instead of going to class the students can watch the lessons at home?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Silver, did you mean to say that instead of going to class the students can watch the lessons at home?

The students are required to go to the school (the language school) to study. The cameras are used by the school. I don't know how to explain myself. Since the question was already answered, I'd better stop adding things to confuse everyone here.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think it's confusing at all. There are the equivalent of CCTV cameras in every classroom. They record everything that happens automatically. The footage is probably stored on a hard drive or a server in the building. There will be a list of people who are authorised to watch the footage, and for what reason they are allowed to do so.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That sounds very cool, but as a teacher I'm very glad we don't have that in the UK! Is that in schools or only in universities?

Yes, in this case, on camera is fine.

I had students recording my classes, audio in those days, in the nineties. I didn't mind, but I always thought it was a waste of time as they'd gain more benefit from a page or two of notes than they would from having to listen to the whole thing again. I didn't think that capturing everything would capture that much. Being able to watch from outside makes sense, but it does run the risk of being just another attachment file that no one opens, but thinks that having it makes a difference.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I've had many of my lessons recorded, but always with a camera on a tripod at the back of the room, and obviously with sound. You can't observe a lesson properly without being able to see the board/screen and without being able to hear what's being said. This is what's confusing me about all this. I can't imagine how security cameras could do either of those things well.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would have thought a camera permanently positioned on the back wall would record the board/screen and the teacher (if that's the point of them). Of course, this is all conjecture!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. The students are required to go to the school (the language school) to attend classes. The cameras are used by the school, not by the students. I don't know how to explain myself better. Since the question was already answered, I'd better stop adding things to confuse everyone here.

Three things. One, when answering a yes or no question always say "Yes" or "No" and then add more if you want to elaborate. Two, did I get it right? (It was an educated guess.) Three, I don't think you're trying to confuse people. (I hope not.)
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.