• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: IELTS

Hi jutfrank.

Well, anyway, I think I need to stop here. I've never doubted the authenticity of the IELTS test. It's influential and authoritative. I remember when my language adviser was still alive, she didn't believe a word I said about China until someone (from China) on WR told her they had had the same experience like I did. When I was 20, taking the IELTS test, I was talking to two people when taking the speaking test, a man from the UK and the other woman from China.

Now, there's only one person talking to you and record what you've said and let others listen to them. The professor I mentioned earlier, his spoken English is just so so and he got an 8. I'm much better than him...

Well, anyway, jutfrank, if you don't believe, it's okay. Maybe one day someone will tell you this again. Our forum is visited by many people every day, I guess someone interested in this topic will come and join us.

2. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

This page is in Chinese. Someone predicted that Japan, Korea and Vietnam are three places where one might get high scores.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Now, there's only one person talking to you and record what you've said and let others listen to them.
    Yes, that's right.

The professor I mentioned earlier, his spoken English is just so so and he got an 8. I'm much better than him...
    Apparently not.

Well, anyway, jutfrank, if you don't believe, it's okay.
    Excuse me? What is it that you think I don't believe?

Maybe one day someone will tell you this again. Our forum is visited by many people every day, I guess someone interested in this topic will come and join us.
    You misunderstand, Silver. The misconceptions that you have about how IELTS is run are very common. I lost count long ago of how many people have made similar claims to me to the ones you're making. These people clearly have little to no understanding of how the test is regulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverobama View Post
    This page is in Chinese. Someone predicted that Japan, Korea and Vietnam are three places where one might get high scores.
    I don't follow. Could you explain? Unfortunately, I can't read Chinese.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Silver, do you know what predicted means?
    Not a professional teacher

5. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Sorry, I think I made a stupid mistake by adding my input here. I'd better stop talking about this.

Thank you so much for your understanding.

Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Chile
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I'm planning on retaking the IELTS exam to asses to what extent my English has improved over the last two years. Jutfrank could you tell me if a candidate is penalised for not answering all the questions in the cue card in part two of the speaking test?
    To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by NamelessKing View Post
    Jutfrank could you tell me if a candidate is penalised for not answering all the questions in the cue card in part two of the speaking test?
    I'm not prepared to answer specific questions concerning examination procedure, I'm afraid.

However, I strongly recommend that you do attempt to cover all the points on the card.

8. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Silverobama View Post
    That might be wishful thinking- exams are meant to be standardised. I've always had my doubts about the TOEIC test, not because of varying standards but because it can test communicative skills predominantly through passive skills, and there are places where the Listening and Reading test rules.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    That might be wishful thinking- exams are meant to be standardised.
    Yes, it is wishful thinking, and I think it's a shame that people believe rumours like this. As you and I both know, Tdol, the test is extremely well regulated and standardised.

It may be the case that Chinese people believe that they can get higher scores in Vietnam, and that they do indeed go there specifically to take the test, but it isn't actually true that they can get higher marks there. If that were the case, the administrators would obviously be the first people to know about it.

Unfortunately, there are also organised operations going on all around the world (largely in Asia) which aim to help candidates cheat in the IELTS exam, but this can only work with the written parts of the test, not the speaking part. To cheat in the speaking part, you'd have to pay off both of the authorised examiners, which would be extremely difficult.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2