Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd never seen such a thing. Seems like it's pointless. If the address was all on one line, sure, it makes sense. But on separate lines?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ugh, I don't like that (with the possible exception of the first).

What do you think the point was?
I have no idea, but if you look at old American postcards, you'll see it was pretty universal.

When I noticed that ems's example included the postal code, I think I discovered why the commas vanished from American use. The post office introduced our version of postal codes, the Zip code, in 1963 and began heavily promoting their use a few years later. The ad campaign also promoted the new two-letter state abbreviations introduced at the same time — and the preferred way to lay out addresses, which eliminated all commas except for one to separate the city name from that of the state.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, I've learnt something. When I read in GS's post that zip codes were introduced only in 1963, I thought "Wow, that's late! Surely we'd had them for decades (if not centuries)". I thought I'd better check. Imagine my surprise when I discovered they were introduced in the UK in 1959 only in Norwich and then rolled out across the country in 1960.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Thanks, Rover_KE. "Postal code" is the generic term for such things. I've now learned that "postcode" is the Royal Mail's name for British ones, like "Zip code" and the US Postal Service.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
ZIP is supposed to stand for Zone Improvement Plan, but it sounds more like they liked the acronym and found a way to fit words into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.