Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Dear English-speaking people,
While translating a wristwatch description into English, I've run into a funny problem.
The original text (in Czech language) says, that the watch case contains three years as items of print - the print literally shows "1918 - 1989 - 2019".
I cannot really write that the case contains three years. That just sounds wrong to me.
However I cannot find any suitable word or expression to write this in English. (The Czech language has one).
I appreciate all your help.

PS: I hope the thread title is not confusing!

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What do you mean by "the watch case contains three years as items of print"? Do you mean there are three small pieces of paper inside the box and they each have a year written on them? Or are the years printed/engraved onto the case itself?

Jigster

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Do you mean there are three small pieces of paper inside the box and they each have a year written on them?

Yes, that is exactly what I meant :roll:

They are actually engraved. It seems that my understanding of the word "contain" was a bit wrong. Then I have another question: What word would I use instead of "contain" to avoid passive voice?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
J

J&K Tutoring

I'm not really up on my watch terminology. To me, the term "watch case" might mean:
1. The metal housing that has the working parts inside
2. The box the watch comes in

It sounds like #2 is correct, in which case I suggest: Engraved in the presentation case (fancy words for box) are the three years, 1918, 1989, and 2019. I assume there is to be some further 'exposition' explaining why those particular years are so important...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ah, yes! I assumed we were talking about the box it comes in. However, the fact that it's engraved makes me think that perhaps we are actually talking about the metal back of the watch.

Having said that, I asked if there was a piece of paper in the box with three years written on it, and the response was (confusingly) "Yes, that is exactly what I meant", followed by "They are actually engraved".

So, Jigster, which one is it? Are the years written on a piece of paper inside the box or are they engraved on the back of the watch? Help us out here!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm pretty sure, emsr2d2, that when you asked:

What do you mean by "the watch case contains three years as items of print"? Do you mean there are three small pieces of paper inside the box and they each have a year written on them? Or are the years printed/engraved onto the case itself?

and Jigster answered:

Yes, that is exactly what I meant :roll:

... he misunderstood your question. He really means that the years are engraved into the metal case (i.e., the back) of the watch.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Anyway, to answer the question (if it's still required), I think the verb includes would be appropriate.

The watch case includes engravings of three years.

We don't have a special word to refer to the way we represent specific years in writing. You just have to call them years.

Status
Not open for further replies.