Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Results 11 to 20 of 26
  1. Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Sep 2019
    • Posts: 333
    #11

    Re: These days adults are so enmeshed in routines at the workplace

    How can we fix the problem?

    These days, adults are so entrenched in their work routines that they need to decompress somehow and art classes would be an amazing way to relax and escape the monotony of daily life.

  2. jutfrank's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Mar 2014
    • Posts: 9,560
    #12

    Re: These days adults are so enmeshed in routines at the workplace

    Quote Originally Posted by alpacinoutd View Post
    How can we fix the problem?
    The problem is that you're mixing metaphors by selecting inappropriate words. You can fix the problem by using the right words to express what you're trying to say, obviously.

  3. Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Sep 2019
    • Posts: 333
    #13

    Re: These days adults are so enmeshed in routines at the workplace

    Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    The problem is that you're mixing metaphors by selecting inappropriate words. You can fix the problem by using the right words to express what you're trying to say, obviously.

    Can the problem be fixed by replacing "decompress"?

    If yes, what word can we put there?

  4. jutfrank's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Mar 2014
    • Posts: 9,560
    #14

    Re: These days adults are so enmeshed in routines at the workplace

    Quote Originally Posted by alpacinoutd View Post
    Can the problem be fixed by replacing "decompress"?

    If yes, what word can we put there?
    Yes, that would be a start.

    Stop asking us to do all the work!

    Look—you need to work out what it is you're trying to say. You have this idea that people's daily routines are something they need to escape from. That's why I suggested entrenched, which contains the idea of being trapped. Stick with that idea and don't bring in any new ones.

  5. Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Sep 2019
    • Posts: 333
    #15

    Re: These days adults are so enmeshed in routines at the workplace

    Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    Yes, that would be a start.

    Stop asking us to do all the work!

    Look—you need to work out what it is you're trying to say. You have this idea that people's daily routines are something they need to escape from. That's why I suggested entrenched, which contains the idea of being trapped. Stick with that idea and don't bring in any new ones.
    I see. What do you think about this?

    These days, adults are so entrenched in their work routines that they need other activities that would help them get away from the tedium of their jobs. Art classes would be an amazing way to escape the monotony of daily life and also to relax.

  6. Tarheel's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 17,337
    #16

    Re: These days adults are so enmeshed in routines at the workplace

    I have a couple of suggestions. Perhaps:

    absorbed in ( their work routines)

    Or

    preoccupied with (their work routines)

    Are you married to amazing?
    Last edited by Tarheel; 12-Nov-2019 at 19:14. Reason: Alter punctuation
    Not a professional teacher

  7. jutfrank's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Mar 2014
    • Posts: 9,560
    #17

    Re: These days adults are so enmeshed in routines at the workplace

    Quote Originally Posted by alpacinoutd View Post
    What do you think about this?

    These days, adults are so entrenched in their work routines that they need other activities that would help them get away from the tedium of their jobs. Art classes would be an amazing way to escape the monotony of daily life and also to relax.
    That's better. Good.

    Change amazing. That's not at all appropriate. Think very carefully about what you actually mean before choosing a substitute word.

  8. Tarheel's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 17,337
    #18

    Re: These days adults are so enmeshed in routines at the workplace

    Perhaps:

    Art classes would be a way to take a break from the monotony of daily life and "get away from it all" for an hour a week.
    Not a professional teacher

  9. Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Sep 2019
    • Posts: 333
    #19

    Re: These days adults are so enmeshed in routines at the workplace

    Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    That's better. Good.

    Change amazing. That's not at all appropriate. Think very carefully about what you actually mean before choosing a substitute word.
    These days, adults are so entrenched in their work routines that they need other activities that would help them get away from the tedium of their jobs. Art classes would be a great way to escape the monotony of daily life and also to relax.

    I am not sure about great too.
    Is it not appropriate in terms of register or meaning?

  10. Tarheel's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 17,337
    #20

    Re: These days adults are so enmeshed in routines at the workplace

    Quote Originally Posted by alpacinoutd View Post
    These days, adults are so entrenched in their work routines that they need other activities that would help them get away from the tedium of their jobs. Art classes would be a great way to escape the monotony of daily life and also to relax.

    I am not sure about "great" either.
    Is it not appropriate in terms of register or meaning?
    Why do you need an adjective there?
    Not a professional teacher

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •