• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

His home is in the center of

Source : practice writing

His home is in the center of Dongtan Second Phase.

In Korea, a city called Dongtan used be one city, but a few years the city planned an extension to its neighboring area, which was finally built and called "Dongtan 2".
    So now there are Dongtan 1(the old area) and Dongtan 2(the new area) located next to each other.
    I don't know what to call "Dongtan 2" in English. Can I just call it "Dongtan 2" or "New Dongtan" or "Dongtan Second Phase"?
    This type of two-phase city seems to have never existed before in Korea. In Canada, I remember visiting "Old Quebec", which I guess must have "New Quebec".
    Last edited by keannu; 12-Nov-2019 at 23:35.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: His home is in the center of

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post

In Korea, a city called Dongtan used to be one city, but a few years the city planned an extension to its neighboring area, which was finally built and called "Dongtan 2".
    So now there is Dongtan 1 space here (the old area) and Dongtan 2 space here (the new area) located next to each other.
    I don't know what to call "Dongtan 2" in English. Can I just call it "Dongtan 2" or "New Dongtan" or "Dongtan Second Phase"?
    This type of two-phase city seems to have never existed before in Korea. In Canada, I remember visiting "Old Quebec", which I guess must have "New Quebec".
    Well, in North Carolina there's a town called New Bern. (The first one is simply Bern.)

I think that either Dongtan 2 or New Dongtan are equally valid. However, "Dongtan Second Phase" baffles me.

It seems that the new development is simply an extension of Dongtan. Why they needed a new name puzzles me.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 13-Nov-2019 at 21:03. Reason: Added a correction (space before opening bracket)
    Not a professional teacher

VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Well, in North Carolina there's a town called New Bern. (The first one is simply Bern.)

I think that either Dongtan 2 or New Dongtan are equally valid. However, "Dongtan Second Phase" baffles me.

It seems that the new development is simply an extension of Dongtan. Why they needed a new name puzzles me.
    Thanks a lot for your help. I think the reason for the new name could be for the convenience of attracting potential apartment buyers by apartment companies and real estate agents. By distinguishing the new one from the old one, it could be easier to communicate with each other.
    The city is only composed of apartments with no detachment houses. But this is only my assumption.

4. Moderator
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In Korea, a city called Dongtan used be one city, but a few years the city planned an extension to its neighboring area, which was finally built and called "Dongtan 2".
    So now there are Dongtan 1(the old area) and Dongtan 2(the new area) located next to each other.
    If the city's name is "Dongtan 2", then that's the only correct thing to call it. If it's legally part of Dongtan, you could call it "the new Dongtan 2 extension of Dongtan".

The old part of Quebec City is informally called Old Quebec. The whole city's name in English is Quebec City; Old Quebec is its historic district.
    I am not a teacher.

Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In Korea, a city called Dongtan used be one city, but a few years ago the city planned an extension to its neighboring area, which was finally built and called "Dongtan 2".
    You seem to have left out a word, as noted above.
    Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Keannu, I don't like finally built. Why did you use that phrase? Was there a long delay?

VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Keannu, I don't like finally built. Why did you use that phrase? Was there a long delay?
    I don't know if there was a long term or short term between planning and construction, but anyway I tried to indicate there was some term in-between.
    Maybe you can omit or is it better to say "which was later built"?

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

There is always some time between planning and construction. Unless there was undue delay omit finally.