Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
UK
In Spanish there isn't a /v/ sound. I'm trying to learn how to produce this consonant, but at the moment of speaking, I mix /b/ and /v/. Are these two conspicuously distinguishable in English? Let's say I pronounce movies as /muː.biz/. Would you notice any difference with /muː.viz/? I'm afraid there is, but I can hardly differentiate them.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Not a teacher. Not a native speaker.
------

Bite your lip with your upper teeth.

You can just touch your lip to your upper teeth, but biting is easier to remember. :lol:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The sounds are easily distinguishable to native speakers. Difficulty with them is a common aspect of Hispanophones' accents. It usually doesn't seriously impede comprehension, but there are obvious exceptions. For example, Chevrolet named two car models the Volt (a gas/electric hybrid) and the Bolt (all electric). You'd have to add a few explanatory words if you were talking about these cars, or your interlocutor would have no way to tell which one you meant.

General Motors management's having chosen these names for significantly different cars demonstrates that they're clearly different to the Anglophone ear. It also shows that GM's management, which has twice produced cars called the Nova ("doesn't go" in Spanish), doesn't include many Spanish speakers.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What you're doing wrong is you're touching your lips together.

Try doing what Glizdka suggests in post #2. Make sure you keep your lips apart.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This video might help.

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
Castilian Spanish has the /p/ and /f/ sounds, which are distinguishable in Spanish.

/b/ and /v/ are voiced equivalents of /p/ and /f/.

The sounds /f/ and /v/ are both fricatives pronounced with the upper teeth in contact with the lower lip (which is why they are called labiodental fricatives).

/p/ and /b/ are labial stops. They don't involve the teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.