Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello, everybody!
there are sayings: "Your roof is running away from you", "You blew your top", (1)
Can I use the following phrases relating to the above-mentioned sayings " Let me hold your roof" (2)? Or maybe "Let me support your roof"? "let me hold(support) your top"
If yes, will it be clear if I use phrase 2 without phrase 1? just " Let me hold (or support) your roof" or "Let me hold(or support) your top" bearing in mind "I'll help you not to be out of your head"
my daughter is going to tattoo this phrase: " Let me hold your roof". But I'm not sure that the meaning is clear.
Thank you

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, everybody!

Here are two sayings:
1. "Your roof is running away from you."
2. "You blew your top." (1)

Can I use the following phrases relating to the above [STRIKE]-mentioned[/STRIKE] sayings "Let me hold your roof" (2)? Or maybe "Let me support your roof"? Or "Let me hold space before an opening bracket (support) your top"?

If yes, will it be clear if I use phrase 2 without phrase 1? I mean that I would use just "Let me hold (or support) your roof" or "Let me hold spacebefore an opening bracket (or support) your top" bearing in mind "I'll help you not to be out of your head"?

My daughter is going to tattoo this phrase: "Let me hold your roof" but I'm not sure that the meaning is clear.

[STRIKE]Thank you.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by clicking on the "Thank" button.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my corrections and comments above.

None of your suggestions work, whether you connect them with "You blew your top" or not. I have never heard of the phrase "Your roof is running away from you". Where did you see/hear it?

"Let me hold your roof" and "Let me support your roof" sound like something a builder would say and no one would connect them with a well-known phrase. "Let me hold/support your top" sounds like someone offering to help someone with their clothing!

I can't "bear in mind" the sentence "I'll help you not to be out of your head" because it makes no sense.

Are you aware that "You blew your top" means "You became very angry" or "You exploded with anger"?

Is your daughter going to tattoo the phrase onto someone else (as your sentence suggested) or is she planning to have those words on her own body? If it's the latter, I strongly recommend she rethinks it. If I saw that tattoo on someone, I would assume they were a builder offering to help me with the upper part of my house.

IrAlVik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Is your daughter going to tattoo the phrase onto someone else (as your sentence suggested) or is she planning to have those words on her own body? If it's the latter, I strongly recommend she rethinks it. If I saw that tattoo on someone, I would assume they were a builder offering to help me with the upper part of my house.

My daughter will tattoo the picture onto a girl's body. And the girl is eager to have this strange phrase inside the picture. It was difficult to reason the girl into choosing something else))). I hope now we'll be able to talk her out of it.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
All of those phrases are utter nonsense. They may make sense in Russian, but they don't in English.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My daughter will tattoo [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a picture onto a girl's body. [STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] The girl is eager to have this strange phrase inside the picture. It [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] has been difficult to [STRIKE]reason[/STRIKE] convince the girl [STRIKE]into choosing[/STRIKE] to choose something else. [STRIKE]))).[/STRIKE] I hope now we'll be able to talk her out of it.

Note my corrections above. Please don't try to make your own emoticons. If you must use one, click on the :) icon and choose one.

As the famous saying goes, "The customer is always right". If this girl really wants those words on her body for eternity and she's willing to pay your daughter to do it, go for it! It's her choice, albeit a terrible one.

Status
Not open for further replies.