Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You need to make the second letter of "suggest/suggestion" sound less like the "u" in "bus" and more like an "uh". Don't change your mouth shape at all between the "s" and the "gg".

With "quest" and "question", you pronounced the "e" like an "i". They sounded like "quist" and "quistion".

Have you checked Forvo.com? It's great for listening to native speakers say individual words. Here's the page for "suggest". There are 8 recordings there, from a variety of English variants. You can change the word in the search box to find "suggestion", "quest" and "question".

ensan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Interestingly, your pronunciation of "question" was much better in the faster full sentence "I have a question". I think you're just trying too hard when you say the word on its own. However, I now notice that your pronunciation of "I" sounds like "OI". Pronounce it exactly the same way you say "eye".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

With the isolated words, there's no improvement from before.

You're still doing this:

With "quest" and "question", you pronounced the "e" like an "i". They sounded like "quist" and "quistion".

And this:

You need to make the second letter of "suggest/suggestion" sound less like the "u" in "bus" and more like an "uh". Don't change your mouth shape at all between the "s" and the "gg".

The sound that emsr2d2 has written as "uh" (the letter 'u' in suggestion) is called a schwa. You can easily find out about this sound online. It is the most important sound in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.