Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi, I’m a Taiwanese student and I’m preparing for my application. Please help me to improve it! Thanks a lot!

Through previous experience of participating in an exchange activity to Japan and guiding Norwegian students on our school exchange program, I’ve developed social skills to get along well with different people of different cultures.

Before going to Japan, I searched for their taboos to keep me polite. I joined their basketball club and found that discovering a common interest is the most efficient icebreaker. The same techniques can be applied when I study abroad, especially because parties and school clubs abound in western countries.

Also, I trained with a Norwegian on a basketball team for six months. Sometimes cultural misunderstanding occurred such as different views on tactics. She used to play on personal skills rather than teamwork, which we focused on. But eventually, both sides make concessions by listening and accepting each other views.

My experience improves my skills to integrate with people of different ethnicities. Also, I plan to learn Dutch and German as languages will be the last barriers of blending into different cultures.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am surprised to learn that Japan is a Western country.
:)

Some free advice follows. You underlined the entire opening sentence. Why??? (Okay, that's not really advice.) You thanked me before I did anything. Why? (Again, that's not really advice.) I suggest that you forget the phrase previous experience. It's pointless. In the first sentence you say you are are applying for something, but even after I read the thing I couldn't figure out what it is that you are applying for. Finally, your first sentence is missing a comma.
:)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try: