Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    raymondaliasapollyon is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    337

    co-opt and inferences

    If someone has been co-opted into a group, is he or she necessarily a member of it?


    The Collins Cobuild dictionary has the following definition:


    If someone is co-opted into a group, they are asked by that group to become a member, rather than joining or being elected in the normal way.


    E.g. He was co-opted into the Labour Government of 1964.


    This description does not tell us whether the person in question was a member of the Labour Government of 1964.


    However, the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary defines "co-opt" as follows:


    to make sb a member of a group, committee, etc. by the agreement of all the other members


    This definition would allow us to infer that the person was a member.


    Which is correct?

  2. #2
    Tarheel's Avatar
    Tarheel is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    22,729

    Re: co-opt and inferences

    They have invited that person to be a member of the group. If their invitation is accepted that person is a member of the group.
    Not a professional teacher

  3. #3
    raymondaliasapollyon is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    337

    Re: co-opt and inferences

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    They have invited that person to be a member of the group. If their invitation is accepted that person is a member of the group.
    Is it correct for Oxford's definition to presume the person accepted the offer?

  4. #4
    Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Matthew Wai is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    8,327

    Re: co-opt and inferences

    Macmillan and Longman give a similar definition.

    "to make that person a member"—quoted from https://www.macmillandictionary.com/...british/co-opt
    "to make somebody a member"—quoted from https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/coopt
    I am not a teacher.

  5. #5
    raymondaliasapollyon is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    337

    Re: co-opt and inferences

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wai View Post
    Macmillan and Longman give a similar definition.

    "to make that person a member"—quoted from https://www.macmillandictionary.com/...british/co-opt
    "to make somebody a member"—quoted from https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/coopt

    Macmillan is a bit different; it says "agree to make that person a member." Whether that person accepts the offer and finally becomes a member is unknown.

  6. #6
    Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    31,561

    Re: co-opt and inferences

    Before you posted this thread, you had already received nine responses from members of WordReference forums.

    Please do not post the same question simultaneously to more than one forum. Doing so wastes our valuable time. Instead, post your question to one forum and wait for replies. If you're not satisfied with those replies, you can try another forum, but please indicate in your thread that you've already asked the same question elsewhere (provide a link), and outline why you were not satisfied with the answers you received already.
    (teechar)

  7. #7
    Tarheel's Avatar
    Tarheel is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    22,729

    Lightbulb Re: co-opt and inferences

    If a person is co-opted into a group, is that person necessarily a member of that group?

    The only possible answer, in my opinion, is yes.

    He was co-opted into the Labour Government in 1964.

    The only logical inference, in my opinion, is that he became a member of the Labour Government. (Would it be logical to think he didn't?)

    Once again a lesson on how important context is.

    The word co-opt is not an everyday word. Unless you have a good reason to use it you shouldn't concern yourself with it any further.

    (Please note that I arrived at my opinion only after getting a two-hour nap and reading everything that had previously been posted.

    (If you make your post too long by the time I get to the end I may have forgotten what was at the beginning. )
    Not a professional teacher

  8. #8
    raymondaliasapollyon is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    337

    Re: co-opt and inferences

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    If a person is co-opted into a group, is that person necessarily a member of that group?

    The only possible answer, in my opinion, is yes.

    He was co-opted into the Labour Government in 1964.

    The only logical inference, in my opinion, is that he became a member of the Labour Government. (Would it be logical to think he didn't?)

    Once again a lesson on how important context is.

    The word co-opt is not an everyday word. Unless you have a good reason to use it you shouldn't concern yourself with it any further.

    (Please note that I arrived at my opinion only after getting a two-hour nap and reading everything that had previously been posted.

    (If you make your post too long by the time I get to the end I may have forgotten what was at the beginning. )

    Your response indicates the Cobuild definition is inaccurate.

  9. #9
    Tarheel's Avatar
    Tarheel is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    22,729

    Re: co-opt and inferences

    Quote Originally Posted by raymondaliasapollyon View Post
    Your response indicates the Cobuild definition is inaccurate.
    Two things. One, I don't care about the Cobuild definition. (Is there a reason I should?) Two, I suggest that you move on to something else.
    Not a professional teacher

  10. #10
    Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Matthew Wai is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    8,327

    Re: co-opt and inferences

    Quote Originally Posted by raymondaliasapollyon View Post
    The Collins Cobuild dictionary has the following definition:


    If someone is co-opted into a group, they are asked by that group to become a member, rather than joining or being elected in the normal way.
    They do not join the group in the normal way. They are not elected to be a member in the normal way. Instead, they are asked to become a member. So, they are actually a member.
    I am not a teacher.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •