Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
If someone has been co-opted into a group, is he or she necessarily a member of it?

The Collins Cobuild dictionary has the following definition:

If someone is co-opted into a group, they are asked by that group to become a member, rather than joining or being elected in the normal way.

E.g. He was co-opted into the Labour Government of 1964.

This description does not tell us whether the person in question was a member of the Labour Government of 1964.

However, the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary defines "co-opt" as follows:

to make sb a member of a group, committee, etc. by the agreement of all the other members

This definition would allow us to infer that the person was a member.

Which is correct?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They have invited that person to be a member of the group. If their invitation is accepted that person is a member of the group.
:-|

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
They have invited that person to be a member of the group. If their invitation is accepted that person is a member of the group.
:-|

Is it correct for Oxford's definition to presume the person accepted the offer?

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Before you posted this thread, you had already received nine responses from members of WordReference forums.

Please do not post the same question simultaneously to more than one forum. Doing so wastes our valuable time. Instead, post your question to one forum and wait for replies. If you're not satisfied with those replies, you can try another forum, but please indicate in your thread that you've already asked the same question elsewhere (provide a link), and outline why you were not satisfied with the answers you received already.
(teechar)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If a person is co-opted into a group, is that person necessarily a member of that group?

The only possible answer, in my opinion, is yes.

He was co-opted into the Labour Government in 1964.

The only logical inference, in my opinion, is that he became a member of the Labour Government. (Would it be logical to think he didn't?)

Once again a lesson on how important context is.

The word co-opt is not an everyday word. Unless you have a good reason to use it you shouldn't concern yourself with it any further.

(Please note that I arrived at my opinion only after getting a two-hour nap and reading everything that had previously been posted.

(If you make your post too long by the time I get to the end I may have forgotten what was at the beginning. :) )

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The Collins Cobuild dictionary has the following definition:

If someone is co-opted into a group, they are asked by that group to become a member, rather than joining or being elected in the normal way.
They do not join the group in the normal way. They are not elected to be a member in the normal way. Instead, they are asked to become a member. So, they are actually a member.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
They do not join the group in the normal way. They are not elected to be a member in the normal way. Instead, they are asked to become a member. So, they are actually a member.

Being asked to become a member is different from actually becoming a member.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Before you posted this thread, you had already received nine responses from members of WordReference forums.

Please do not post the same question simultaneously to more than one forum. Doing so wastes our valuable time. Instead, post your question to one forum and wait for replies. If you're not satisfied with those replies, you can try another forum, but please indicate in your thread that you've already asked the same question elsewhere (provide a link), and outline why you were not satisfied with the answers you received already.
(teechar)

I find quite a few native speakers have trouble discerning the various definitions and the accompanying inferences.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
They do not join the group in the normal way. They are not elected to be a member in the normal way.
So, how do they join the group/become a member? The answer is as follows:

they are asked by that group to become a member

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
If a person is co-opted into a group, is that person necessarily a member of that group?

The only possible answer, in my opinion, is yes.

He was co-opted into the Labour Government in 1964.

The only logical inference, in my opinion, is that he became a member of the Labour Government. (Would it be logical to think he didn't?)

Once again a lesson on how important context is.

The word co-opt is not an everyday word. Unless you have a good reason to use it you shouldn't concern yourself with it any further.

(Please note that I arrived at my opinion only after getting a two-hour nap and reading everything that had previously been posted.

(If you make your post too long by the time I get to the end I may have forgotten what was at the beginning. :) )

Your response indicates the Cobuild definition is inaccurate.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
They do not join the group in the normal way. They are not elected to be a member in the normal way.

A far more accurate phrasing would be "become a member by invitation of the group."

Last edited:
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

Now I see what you mean. But that would work only when it has been made explicit in the first place that the person in question became a member. The Cobuild definition does not do that.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In the Collins definition, "rather than joining or being elected in the normal way" suggests that they actually join the group/become a member.

Another definition: "(of an elected group) to make someone a member through the choice of the present members"—quoted from https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/co-opt
"Someone" is actually a member.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
E.g. He was co-opted into the Labour Government of 1964.

This description does not tell us whether the person in question was a member of the Labour Government of 1964.

Of course it does! How can you be in the government without being a member of it?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Of course it does! How can you be in the government without being a member of it?

By "this description," I was referring to the Cobuild definition.

Plugging the Cobuild definition into that example sentence would derive the following:

He was asked to become a member of the Labour Government of 1964, rather than joining it in the normal way.

If someone was asked to be a member of the government, would it follow that he became a member?

The main action, i.e., becoming a member of the government, is not stated but presupposed. A stated version of the definition would be "to become a member of a group by its invitation
, rather than joining it in the normal way."

Last edited:
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
That is true, but you asked about co-opt, and Matthew answered your question.

Thread closed

But "asked" is used in the Cobuild definition of "co-opt."

I see Matthew's reply makes sense, but only when it has been established that a person is a member, as in the following exchange:

A: How did John become a member? (The question presupposes that John is a member.)
B: He was asked to become a member by the committee, rather than joining or being elected in the normal way.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In the Collins definition, "rather than joining or being elected in the normal way" suggests that they actually join the group/become a member.

Another definition: "(of an elected group) to make someone a member through the choice of the present members"—quoted from https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/co-opt
"Someone" is actually a member.

Cambridge's definition makes better sense to me.

If we take the Collins definition apart, we could derive a few statements:

a. The person is asked to become a member by the group.
b. He or she does not join the group in the normal way.
c. He or she is not elected to the group in the normal way, either.

Are b and c true in scenarios where the person is not a member of the group?

Status
Not open for further replies.